The Ocean is a large body of water found on the surface of each map at both left and right edges, comprising the eastern 500ft (250 blocks) and the western 500ft for large mapsSablon:Verify and 676ft (338 blocks) for medium maps. It extends as deep as the Cavern layer with maximum depth reached at the edge of the map.
Oceans will commonly contain Water Chests with loot pertaining to water. They also contain unique enemies like Crabs and Sharks.
The Ocean Biome contains its own tree type, Palm Trees (since 1.2.4), which can be harvested for Palm Wood.
- Ocean enemies will only detect and swim toward the player if they are in the water to a depth of at least one tile.
- If the Ocean has enough "dry" sand surface Desert enemies may spawn there, but the area near the water will not start growing desert plants.
- Hardmode Corruption/Crimson or Hallow can convert all the sand into Ebonsand/Crimsand or Pearlsand, effectively converting the Ocean into a Corrupted/Crimson or Hallowed Desert biome.
- Unlike other biomes, the water in the Ocean does not turn red during a Blood Moon.
- Although the Ocean appears to reach the edge of the world, 3rd party map viewers will show that it actually extends for several blocks more. The Corruption/Crimson or Hallow can spread to the sand via these unseen extra blocks at the sea bed.
- Sometimes, the sea bed can go lower down than level layer, causing a bit of the underground's background to pop up.
- If the sea bed is low enough, it is possible to find Heart Crystals, desert Underground Cabins and Campsites on the Ocean floor.
- The Asztali számítógépes változat, Konzolos változat, és Mobilos változat each feature a unique biome music which is different from the Régi generációs konzolos változat és 's music. -es változatSablon:Verify
További stratégiákhoz a Óceán legyőzéséhez, beleértve a fegyvereket és az arénát, lásd: Guide:Surviving in the Ocean.
- Players exploring the Ocean run the risk of drowning if not equipped with the proper accessories. In addition to plenty of healing potions, items and potions that aid breathing, such as the Breathing Reed and Gills Potion, a Magic Mirror for returning home quickly, and Flippers to aid swimming should be brought along. The Grappling Hook or Ivy Whip may also be of some help in returning to the surface for breath. The Neptune's Shell or any of its upgrades removes the need to breathe altogether.
- Players may drain the Ocean by tunneling down to the Underworld, where water evaporates.
- Another way of draining the Ocean is by making an air pocket, emptying a Lava Bucket in it and placing a background object (e.g. furniture) in the lava. Allowing water to flow in will cause it to disappear, as the object prevents Obsidian from being generated.
- When attempting to preserve the Ocean biome from being converted in Hardmode, simply digging a quarantine gap under the seabed is insufficient because world data extends a little past the edge. The gap must thus be extended vertically along the edge right up to the sea bed, which needs to be plugged with incorruptible blocks to both prevent the water from draining as well as stop any spread of Corruption/Crimson or Hallow.
- The Oceans have a lot of space, making them good places for large-scale builds like arenas and farms.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Ocean enemies can now spawn on biome oceans, this applies to the Sleeping Angler Kid as well.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Now has its own tree type.
- Seashells and Starfish have been added.
- Attempting to fish with a Truffle Worm in the Ocean will summon Duke Fishron.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Now has its own music.
- Golden Chests have mostly replaced with Water Chests.
- New enemies: Sea Snail and Squid.
- Enemies in the ocean can now drop Pirate Maps in Hardmode
- Desktop 1.1: Now has its own background.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Ocean generation has been improved and it has become slightly larger.
- Coral now grows on the ocean floor.
- New enemies: Crab, Pink Jellyfish, Shark
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.