The Angler is an NPC concerned exclusively with fishing, who appears as a young boy. He does not sell anything, but rather assigns quests to players. Quest objectives generally involve catching him rare fish from particular biomes or layers, for which he dispenses various rewards.
- Additionally, on Desktop and Mobile he will gain various stat increases as the player progresses.
- There is an empty house.
- The player has interacted with him and has woken him up (⚷ Open / Activate).
The Sleeping Angler is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
Initiating a quest
- The day's quest is determined at 4:30 AM each day, regardless of whether or not the Angler has been spoken to.
- In order to find out where to find the quest fish, the player needs to speak to the Angler and select his "Quest" option.
- The player will require a Fishing Pole, bait, and a sizeable amount of liquid (see fishing) to catch the quest fish.
- The item will only be catchable while its quest is in effect (from 4:30 AM of that day until 4:30 AM of the next day, and before the player's daily catch has been turned in)
- The quest fish can only be caught if it is not already in the player's inventory.
- Speaking again to the Angler will remove the quest fish from the player's inventory, and reward them with items.
- Item chances: The chances of functional, non-potion items gradually increase from their base rates (shown below) with the number of quests completed: they become more likely (and others less likely) as more quests are completed.
- At 50 quests, the chances of receiving a functional item reward are 2x the base rate.
- At 100 quests, the chances are 4x the base rate.
- At 150 quests, the chances are the highest, at 6.67x the base rate.
- Coin quantity: The number of coins awarded increases with the number of quests completed, and is rounded down to the nearest Gold Coin (or Silver Coin, if less than 1), up to a maximum of 10. The average coin reward is approximately 70, plus 150 per completed quest, before rounding. These values are doubled in Expert Mode.
- Bait chances: The Angler may additionally reward the player with an amount of bait, with chances scaling from ~50% on the first completed quest to 100% by the 50th quest. The average quality and amount of bait given similarly increases with the number of completed quests, up to a maximum of 7 Master Baits.
- On the Console, Old-gen console, and versions, after the 150th completed quest, the chances permanently reset to their base rates below, as if the player was always on their first quest each time thereafter. Coins are not affected by this and continue to scale up to a maximum of 10 per quest.
- On the Desktop version and Mobile version, the Angler's Happiness mildly affects his rewards, higher happiness treats the reward as if you've completed more quests than you actually have, and lower happiness treats the reward as if you've completed less quests. For example, assuming no quests are completed, the odds of getting the High Test Fishing Line may range from 2% at the Angler's lowest happiness to 2.778% at his highest possible happiness, compared to the base rate of 2.5%.
- Rewards will not include duplicates of the info accessories already in the player's inventory or Portable Storage, unless the player has them all.
Only one of the following special rewards may be obtained. The chances listed are affected by the number of quests completed. Chances are rolled in the order given by the list below, starting from the top. This means rewards near the bottom have a slightly lowered chance of being obtained than what is listed. These chances are not affected by Luck.
|Fuzzy Carrot||-||Guaranteed on the 5th quest.|
|Angler Hat||-||Guaranteed on the 10th quest.|
|Angler Vest||-||Guaranteed on the 15th quest.|
|Angler Pants||-||Guaranteed on the 20th quest.|
|Golden Fishing Rod||Guaranteed on the 30th quest. / Guaranteed on the 50th quest. |
Available after the 75th quest.
|Hotline Fishing Hook||Hardmode only. |
Available after the 25th quest.
|Fin Wings||Hardmode only. |
Available after the 10th quest.
|Bottomless Water Bucket||Hardmode only. |
Available after the 10th quest.
|Super Absorbant Sponge||Hardmode only. |
Available after the 10th quest.
|Golden Bug Net|
|High Test Fishing Line||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Lavaproof Tackle Bag, Angler Tackle Bag or all its components are in possessions.|
|Angler Earring||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Lavaproof Tackle Bag, Angler Tackle Bag or all its components are in possessions.|
|Tackle Box||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Lavaproof Tackle Bag, Angler Tackle Bag or all its components are in possessions.|
|Fisherman's Pocket Guide||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Fish Finder, PDA, Cellphone or Fish Finder's components are in possessions.|
|Weather Radio||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Fish Finder, PDA, Cellphone or Fish Finder's components are in possessions.|
|Sextant||Only if no duplicates in possessions,[rw 1] unless Fish Finder, PDA, Cellphone or Fish Finder's components are in possessions.|
|Mermaid set||All 3 pieces rewarded at once.|
|Fish set||All 3 pieces rewarded at once.|
- Possessions include inventory and equipped accessories, along with the 4 types of Portable Storage.
If none of the rewards listed above are rewarded, one of the following will be obtained, and in no particular order. Chances are unaffected by Luck, the number of quests completed, nor by the Angler's happiness.
|Pillagin' Me Pixels||
|Ship in a Bottle||
|Coralstone Block (50-150)||
|Fishing Potion (2-5)
Sonar Potion (2-5)
Crate Potion (2-5)
|Default||Only one potion type is rewarded.|
If bait is being rewarded, chances of getting which type are in the order listed below. The chances listed are affected by the number of quests completed. As noted above, chance of obtaining bait ranges from 50% to 100% and is based on the number of quests completed.
|Master Bait|| |
|Journeyman Bait|| |
The minimum amount of bait obtained is determined by the number of quests completed. Once 25, 50, 100, 150, 200 and 250 quests are completed, the minimum amount is increased by 1, for a total of 7 bait. There is also a small chance of obtaining an extra bait if below 250 quests completed.
Living preferences 
For more information, see NPC happiness.
- The Angler is one of the few town NPCs that can be obtained regardless of the current stage of game progression (others being the Guide, Stylist and Golfer).
- The Sleeping Angler spawns randomly, like the other bound NPCs. It is not guaranteed that he will initially spawn on either shore. The player may need to wait a while at a shore before he appears.
- The Sleeping Angler is able to float on both water and honey.
- If a quest is not completed before the next day begins (4:30 AM the following day), a new quest begins, whether or not the Angler is spoken to.
- It is possible to catch quest fish before the Angler has spawned in a world. However, most quest fish require fishing in a specific environment, making this an unlikely catch.
- The Angler will never assign quests that require the player to catch fish from the Crimson in a Corruption world, or from the Corruption in a Crimson world.
- No quest fish will be caught if the day's quest catch already exists in the player's inventory. It is possible to catch more than one quest fish in a day if the player drops previously-caught quest fish on the ground, or stores them in a chest or other storage item. For this case, a fish in the player's "trash slot" does not count, so putting the first one there allows picking up a second quest fish. Holding the item in the air with a cursor does not count as holding, with another quest fish in the trash slot allows pickup of a third one lying on the ground, allowing for a maximum of three quest fish in the inventory.
- While most NPCs die via the usual death animation, the Angler simply vanishes in a puff of smoke. He also has a unique death message: Instead of "<Name of Angler> was slain..." the message reads "<Name of Angler> has left!". This is likely due to rating concerns, as depictions of children being killed tend to result in an "Adults Only" rating from the ESRB, which might have limited the game's distribution.
- This is not the case in the version, as the status message reads "Angler was slain…" due to the game not being updated by Re-Logic for those platforms. He still vanishes in a puff of smoke.
- If the Angler is killed after being saved, and there is no suitable house for him to live in, he will settle in as soon as one becomes free, like any other NPC.
- If the Angler is killed, the game does not know whether to spawn him in a house or respawn him on the beach, so it does both. This can result in getting 2 Anglers.Verify
- The number of completed quests is tied to the character, rather than the world. The minimum number required for a particular reward can be accrued by completing quests in multiple worlds. The number of completed quests for the purposes of achievements is instead a running total for all characters in all worlds, so multiple characters can contribute to earning achievements.
- The current fishing quest for a world's in-game day is tied to the name of the characters. It is, for example, impossible to have two characters with the same name claim rewards in the same world.
- The Angler provides all three components of the Fish Finder, which is one of the sub-assemblies of the Cell Phone. Three more of his gifts can be combined into the Angler Tackle Bag, which is required to craft the Lavaproof Tackle Bag.
- The Bestiary entry for the Angler: "The Angler, a rude fishing genius, sends others to find weird, rare fish. He rewards random items, entertained by any misfortunes."
- In multiplayer, advancing the day forward to dawn using console commands does not reset the quest cooldown; the player still needs to wait another 24 minutes (24 in-game hours) for a new quest. However, advancing the day to midnight and waiting 4.5 minutes until dawn does work.
- If the game does not save after the player turns in the daily quest, the game can be closed without saving to turn in the quest again with different rewards. This can be done multiple times to attain desired rewards without having to wait 24 minutes for a new quest.
- Building mini-biomes is useful for quick access for fishing biome-specific fish, as some biomes such as the Jungle, Corruption, or Crimson may be more time-consuming and/or dangerous to travel to.
- When attempting to get new accessories from fishing (e.g. to gain the ingredients for the Fish Finder), remember to hold accessories you already have gained from quest fishing in your inventory, to avoid receiving duplicates. However, if you have them all already, try to only hold two of them to minimize the chances of having another. Completing quests in Pre-Hardmode also increases the chances of getting one of them.
- Doing the achievements can be more easily done on Journey Mode by skipping the day cycle using the Time menu and using the Duplication menu for the quest fish.
- When attempting to get furniture items from the Angler, it is best to minimize your chances of getting functional items. This means it's optimal to only complete quests with characters that have done less than 50 fishing quests, with two out of the three components of both the Fish Finder and Angler Tackle Bag in your inventory, and with the Angler at minimum possible happiness.
The Angler may have any of the following names:
- and 3DS versions">
- Bryce <span title="Console
- Old-gen console
When woken up:
When a quest is available:
When a quest is completed:
When the Quest button is clicked after the daily quest has been completed:
When a quest has been completed:
When Dryad is present when a quest has been completed:
When Tavernkeep is present when a quest has been completed:
During a Party:
During a Blood Moon, when a quest is available:
During a Blood Moon, when a quest has been completed:
While it's raining:
During a thunderstorm:
During a windy day:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes 
When nothing is affecting happiness:
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Ocean:
When in the Desert:
When near the Princess:
When near the Demolitionist:
When near the Party Girl:
When near the Tax Collector:
When near the Tavernkeep:
- The Angler is a child, and therefore younger than all the others. The only other NPC who is a child is the Princess. His sprite is a block shorter than any of the others.
- The Angler seems to be an orphan, judging by his quote "I don't have a mommy or a daddy, but I have a lot of fish! It's close enough!"
- The Angler is allergic to bees, as shown when he gives the quest to find the Bumblebee Tuna.
- The Angler is not allowed to try Ale from the Tavernkeep as seen in the quote "How come <name of Tavernkeep> won't sell me any ale? I want to try some! What a grouch!". This refers to the fact that the Angler is presumably under the Legal drinking age.
- The Angler often seems to disregard the player's safety, as shown by his quotes. Example: "Hey! Just the sacrifi- I mean competent fishing master that I've been looking for! "
- Despite his professed love of fishing, he is never himself seen fishing, and the only fish he provides to the player are mounted as trophies.
- The quest dialog for the Clownfish is a reference to the 2003 American computer-animated adventure movie Finding Nemo.
- The quest dialog for the Batfish is a reference to "Batman Theme", the title song of the 1966 Batman TV series.
- The quest dialog for the Pengfish is a reference to the fictional superhero Superman.
- Despite his quest dialog claiming that he will be rich, the Jewelfish is still worth nothing when sold.
- Although it is extremely rare, it is entirely possible to give the Angler a Bunnyfish and receive a Bunnyfish Trophy, suggesting he immediately gave it back.
- The Angler's quote referencing the act of touching your tongue to an ice block references the fact that very cold objects, such as ice blocks, cause the saliva in the tongue to freeze inside the pores of the tongue, causing the tongue to become stuck to the ice. This behavior is referenced comically in films and cartoons, such as A Christmas Story.
- Despite his dislike of the desert for its apparent lack of fish, several fish can be caught in the desert, including two quest fish. The Desert quest fish were added only in 1.4.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Removed "Bryce" as a possible name.
- Angler's Quest rewards are now more likely to give you the Info Accessories.
- Additionally, he will not give the player duplicates of an accessory they have in your inventory, unless they already have them all.
- Added 2 new quotes, informing the player of the number of quests they have completed.
- Fixed some inconsistent or inaccurate Fishing Quest dialogue text.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Fixed bug where "Wyverntail" was named "Whyverntail".
- Angler's quests now show when using other languages.
- Fixed bug where Sleeping Angler would move slowly on tiles if attacked by enemies.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Introduced fishing on Console editions, including the Angler NPC, fishing quests, and their rewards.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.