|Tooltip||Grants immunity to knockback and fire blocks|
Grants immunity to most debuffs
- Internal Item ID: 1613
The Ankh Shield is a Hardmode shield accessory which provides immunity to 11 / 10 different debuffs, knockback immunity, and an additional 4 defense. It is crafted from an Obsidian Shield and an Ankh Charm at the Tinkerer's Workshop.
When equipped, the Ankh Shield provides immunity to all of the following debuffs:
total: 1 row(s)
|Obsidian × 20|
( + )
|Armor Bracing||Medicated Bandage||Countercurse Mantra||The Plan|
|Obsidian Shield||Ankh Charm|
- The Ankh Shield is the end result of combining eleven individual accessories over the course of eight crafting operations. Its original constituent accessories are the Bezoar, Vitamins, Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, Nazar, Blindfold, Trifold Map, Fast Clock, Megaphone, Armor Polish, and Adhesive Bandage.
- The Pocket Mirror (which provides immunity to Stoned) and the Hand Warmer (which provides immunity against Frozen, as well as Chilled, the latter of which the player is still immune to with the Ankh Shield on the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, Nintendo Switch version, and tModLoader version), are not used in the recipe for the Ankh Charm, although protecting from certain debuffs. The Philosopher's Stone, which reduces the effect the Potion Sickness debuff, is not used either.
- Despite the tooltip, there are many debuffs that the player can still suffer, especially higher-tier versions of the debuffs they are protected from: Venom for Poisoned, Cursed Inferno and On Fire! for Burning, Blackout for Darkness, Frozen for Chilled, Withered Armor (or Ichor) for Broken Armor. Of course, these higher-tier debuffs are all significantly rarer than the weaker forms, and the Ankh Shield does cut down sharply on dangerous inconveniences while adventuring. That being said, the Shield actually prevents less than half of all enemy-afflicted debuffs in the game.
- There are several post-Golem debuffs the Ankh Shield does not protect from: Electrified, inflicted by Tesla Turrets during the Martian Madness event; Distorted, inflicted by Alien Queens while fighting the Vortex Pillar; and Moon Bite, inflicted by the Moon Lord.
- The Ankh Shield does not require any items from Hardmode bosses (but does require Hardmode), and so it can be obtained before defeating them. It can be a very useful accessory when the player does decide to fight them.
- While it does not directly affect the Feral Bite debuff, the Shield blocks all of its side effects, rendering it mostly harmless against the player.
- The post-Plantera Paladin's Shield offers an extra 2 defense and a multiplayer buff, but does not prevent common debuffs. As such, the Paladin's Shield may be slightly more advantageous for most boss battles.
- Using an Obsidian Skin Potion renders the player immune to the On Fire! debuff, which the shield does not provide.
- The Ankh Shield can synergize with the Brand of the Inferno to block attacks, granting the Striking Moment buff.
- The Ankh Shield can be used to defuse active debuffs if it is left in the players inventory and quickly swapped with a currently equipped accessory, allowing the player to use other shields or accessories in place of the Ankh Shield when exploring or in combat.
- The Ankh Shield takes the Obsidian Shield to craft, meaning crafting the Obsidian Skull Rose or Magma Skull makes it unable to craft the Obsidian Shield without crafting another Obsidian Skull.
- The ankh, the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol that is depicted in the shield, was most commonly used in writing and in art to represent the word for "life" and, by extension, as a symbol of life itself.
- The Ankh seen in game in the Ankh Charm and Ankh Shield moreso resembles a crux ansata, a variation of the Christian cross inspired by the Egyptian Ankh which was used in the Holy Roman Empire. Additionally, the Ankh Shield is the final upgrade to the Cobalt Shield, which features a simple Christian cross on the front. These two facts could be a subtle reference to how the Roman Empire took over ancient Egypt, but adopted some of its symbols and traditions.
- Of all accessories, the Ankh Shield and the Celestial Stone offer the fourth most base defense, being bested only by the Paladin's Shield and Frozen Shield, which have a base defense of 6, the Flesh Knuckles and Berserker's Glove, which have 8 base defense, and the Hero Shield, which has a base defense of 10.
- The only crafted item in the build path not crafted at the Tinkerer's Workshop is the Obsidian Skull, which is crafted at a Furnace instead.
- Its components sell for more than the shield itself does.
- In the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, the Ankh Shield (requiring 11 base ingredients and 7 crafting operations) has the most complex crafting tree. Although the Music Box (Title) required one more base ingredient, it only needed one crafting operation.
- Despite giving immunity to Chilled, the crafting chain for the Ankh Shield does not include the Hand Warmer. The shield also does not give immunity to Frozen.
- Desktop 1.3.2: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, providing immunity to the Chilled debuff.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced, providing immunity to the Chilled debuff.