|Placeable||✔️ (1 wide × 1 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Increases running speed|
Asphalt Blocks are unique hardmode blocks that dramatically increase the speed of players running along them, along with reducing the time it takes to stop running. Their acceleration stacks with other speed-boosting items such as the Hermes Boots and its derivative accessories. It only affects players running directly on it – the speed of Enemies, NPCs and Critters will remain unaffected. Immediately after jumping or falling off of Asphalt Blocks, the speed will return to normal.
With no other boosts, running on asphalt has a max speed of 53 mph, with about 3 seconds of acceleration, while the normal maximum running speed is 15 mph.
total: 1 row(s)
- While using Lightning Boots (only 70mph on Asphalt) and the buff from Panic Necklace along with Asphalt, the player can reach extreme speeds (a maximum of 85 mph), even outrunning projectiles such as the Rainbow Rod and the ranged component of the Terra Blade, and many bosses, even including a charging Spazmatism. One could build a skybridge with a five second timer arrow trap at the start, in order to continuously reapply the buff as they run.
- Even without any other speed boosts, one could easily outrun a Biome Mimic even when it dashes toward the player through blocks, because the Mimic's dash toward the player only has a speed of 51 mph, while the player running on asphalt goes 7 mph faster.
- Running through a Teleporter will not slow you down.
- Although Asphalt Blocks greatly increase the player's speed, they do not increase acceleration like Frostspark Boots on Ice Blocks do.
- The maximum speed of Mounts remains unaffected by Asphalt Blocks.
- Instead, they reduce the braking time of a mounted player.
- This is a useful block type for building Skybridges, especially for the late-night collection of Fallen Stars, and is also good for Arenas, particularly where quick movement may be necessary (Skeletron Prime during its 'spin' attack, The Twins, Empress of Light, Duke Fishron, or Moon Lord).
- This block only needs to be placed every other tile (with an empty tile between each) to achieve full speed. This means you can cover a particular distance at half the cost with the same effect.
- Frozen Slime Block
- Honey Block, which has the opposite effect of the Asphalt Block, decreasing movement speed.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Placed sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.