The Bird, Blue Jay, and Cardinal are flying critters. Birds have only 5 health and no defense, and can be damaged by other enemies including the player, which almost always results in their instant death. They are found on the surface, where they are as common as a Bunny, often spawn in the morning, and can be heard singing when nearby. Much like the Vulture, Birds remain still until approached, whereupon they will fly away.
Birds can be caught using the Bug Net to be carried around in the inventory and released later, crafted into a respective cage to be placed as an animated furniture item, or crafted into a Bird Statue, although a Bird cannot be released once crafted.
The Bird Cage occupies a 6×3 space, and the Bird inside may follow one of the following patterns:
- Fly from one side to the other of the cage
- Stop at the center and peck the ground for a while
- Close its eyes and sleep on the right side
Types[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 2015
Internal Item ID: 2016
Internal Item ID: 2017
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
|Bird Cage||By Hand|
|Blue Jay Cage|
|Roasted Bird||Cooking Pot|
|Bird Statue ( )||Heavy Work Bench|
|Bird Statue ( )||Heavy Work Bench and Ecto Mist|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Birds always fly about 20 tiles above the ground.
- The Bird Banner only drops from the regular Bird, not from the Blue Jay or Cardinal.
- On the version, all three Birds have no sell value.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The regular Bird has black legs in its item sprite, whereas as a critter and in a placed cage they are yellow.
- The Bird, Bunny, Goldfish, and Penguin are the only four critters that have banners of themselves.
- On the Desktop version and Mobile version, a cloud in the shape of a Bird can occasionally be seen in the background.
- Bird: "A simple white bird which enjoys a calm sunny day."
- Blue Jay: "This little blue bird came looking for worms."
- Cardinal: "A rare, red-crested friend of the forest."
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: NPC sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Bird Statues.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Cardinal now sells for 750.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Birds are now more likely to spawn in mornings. Each type has several songs to sing.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced Blue Jay and Cardinal.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.