The Bird, Blue Jay, and Cardinal are flying critters. Birds have only 5 health and no defense, and can be damaged by other enemies including the player, which almost always results in their instant death. They are found on the surface, where they are as common as a Bunny, often spawn in the morning, and can be heard singing when nearby. Much like the Vulture, Birds remain still until approached, whereupon they will fly away.
Birds can be caught using the Bug Net to be carried around in the inventory and released later, crafted into a respective cage to be placed as an animated furniture item, or crafted into a Bird Statue, although a Bird cannot be released once crafted.
The Bird Cage occupies a 6×3 space, and the Bird inside may follow one of the following patterns:
- Fly from one side to the other of the cage
- Stop at the center and peck the ground for a while
- Close its eyes and sleep on the right side
Internal Item ID: 2015
Internal Item ID: 2016
Internal Item ID: 2017
total: 8 row(s)
- Birds always fly about 20 tiles above the ground.
- The Bird Banner only drops from the regular Bird, not from the Blue Jay or Cardinal.
- On the Nintendo version, all three Birds have no sell value.
- The regular Bird has black legs in its item sprite, whereas as a critter and in a placed cage they are yellow.
- The Bird, Bunny, Goldfish, and Penguin are the only four critters that have banners of themselves.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version, a cloud in the shape of a Bird can occasionally be seen in the background.
- Those familiar with birds will realize that "one of these things is not like the others". The sound files indicate that all three are meant to be songbirds; the white "generic" bird can pass for various species, including some songbirds, but the other two represent real species. And while the Cardinal is a songbird, the Blue jay is not -- it is a relative of crows and ravens, with a raucous voice and an aggressive disposition. (The Bluebird is an actual songbird.)
- Bird: "A simple white bird which enjoys a calm sunny day."
- Blue Jay: "This little blue bird came looking for worms."
- Cardinal: "A rare, red-crested friend of the forest."
- Desktop 1.3.5: NPC sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Bird Statues.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Cardinal now sells for 750.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Birds are now more likely to spawn in mornings. Each type has several songs to sing.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced Blue Jay and Cardinal.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.