The Blood Eel is a flying Hardmode enemy that can be spawned by fishing during a Blood Moon event. When the bobber dips and the player attempts to reel in a fish, a Blood Eel or another enemy has a chance to spawn within a few blocks of the bobber in place of a fish. Its behavior is rather similar to that of the Wyvern, though it moves considerably faster.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
Segments[edit | edit source]
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|621||Blood Eel Head||90/180/270||0|
|622||Blood Eel Body||60/120/180||30|
|623||Blood Eel Tail||50/100/150||40|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Sonar Potion will detect if a Blood Moon enemy is about to be hooked.
- Using the Chum Caster will greatly increase the chances of hooking Blood Moon enemies.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As with any multi-segmented enemy, piercing and explosive weapons can strike multiple segments at once, dealing several times their normal damage.
- Using a bow or repeater with Jester's or Holy Arrows is a good way to kill the Blood Eel.
- Thrown flails, such as the Sunfury or the Dao of Pow, can hit many segments at once dealing much more damage than normal.
- Other useful items for killing Blood Eels and other worms are the Shotgun (with Explosive Bullets), the Nimbus Rod, the Crystal Vile Shard, and the Medusa Head.
- The Life Drain, obtained from Crimson Mimics, is also an extremely powerful choice, as it can suck life out of many segments at once.
- The head of the Blood Eel has lower defense than its tail or body segments, making it more vulnerable to damage as it charges the player. However, the head also deals twice the damage as the rest of the body on contact, making it risky to face the Blood Eel head on.
- The Blood Eel can be easily dodged using the Shield of Cthulhu. As the Eel comes in to attack, perform a dash away from or under the Eel to avoid being hit.
- Flying in a straight line away from it with the Pirate Ship Mount can make this fight considerably easier as the mount's top speed is just higher than the Eel's.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Bestiary entry for the Blood Eel: "A large, worm-like demon, dripping with blood - both its own, and its victim's. It's a bloody nightmare of a fiend!"
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.