|Damage||85 / 44 (Melee)|
|Use time||20 (Very fast) /|
|Tooltip||Right click to guard with a shield|
|End of parry|
With any equipped shield (including the Squire's Shield, but not Huntress's Buckler) and holding this sword, pressing the ⚷ Open / Activate button will cause the character to brace for the next attack (like Sergeant United Shield). When timed correctly, just before taking a hit, the enemy's attack will be parried, dealing some damage to the attacker and granting the Striking Moment buff for the next 5 seconds. This allows the next melee attack to deal 5 times the damage. Alternatively, if the shield is held in place, 20 defense is temporarily gained; this lasts until the shield is once again lowered.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
- The buff tooltip claims that damage is increased by 500% (i.e., multiplied by 6), which is incorrect.
- The Brand of the Inferno's damage reflection ability can only be used to deflect contact damage from enemies. Fall damage, lava damage, enemy projectiles, and traps will still harm the player.
- It can, however, reduce damage from these sources with the 20 defense gained while pressing the ⚷ Open / Activate button.
- Parrying in Journey Mode with Godmode enabled will do nothing.
- Successfully parrying an attack prevents all damage to the player, grants 30 / 60 (with Cross Necklace equipped) immunity frames and applies knockback.
- Parrying an attack deals the same damage as attacks reflected by the Thorns Effect of Turtle armor, which is twice that of a Thorns Potion.
- The damage dealt by parrying an attack is decreased by banners (25% in Classic or lower, 50% in Expert or above), rerolled inversely by luck (having negative luck will give a chance to increase incoming damage, and thorns as a result) and capped at 1000 damage.
- The player must be facing an enemy to parry its attack.
- The act of gaining the attack buff and switching to a more powerful weapon like Meowmere has potential for massive damage, especially if somehow timed perfectly with the Psycho Knife's buffs.
- In the inventory, the sword's loops appear hollow. However, while being used, the loops are filled with flame. This is purely a graphical difference.
- The Brand of the Inferno has similarities to the Tizona in regard to blade design and name (Tizona means firebrand).
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Use time decreased from 25 to 20.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Size increased by 13%.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Damage increased from 44 to 85.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 126.96.36.199.