|Use time||27 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Increases breath time and allows breathing in water|
- Internal Item ID: 186
The Breathing Reed is an item which aids underwater travel. It can be found in Water Chests and Ocean Crates. On the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version, it is also a melee weapon.
For the Breathing Reed to take effect, it must be held, i.e. selected in the hotbar or being attached to the cursor. When held, the reed appears above the player and the rate at which their breath meter depletes as well as the rate at which they lose health while drowning is halved. The reed's tip does not need to be above the surface of the water for this to take effect. Additionally, the breath meter refills as soon as the tip of the reed is outside of water, but not within a block.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
- Holding the Breathing Reed prolongs the underwater breath to 46.67 seconds or, if paired with diving equipment, to 3 minutes and 6.67 seconds. In addition, the rate at which health is lost while drowning is reduced to 1/2 or 1/8, respectively.
- Though the Breathing Reed can have modifiers that change its size, this is only applies to combat, and does not increase the depth at which the player's breath meter can refill underwater.
- Holding it while having a Fish Bowl in the armor slot will prevent the player from drowning.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Turned into a melee weapon. Still retains its previous functionality, however.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Recovered tooltip.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 1.0.4.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124.0: Added new changes from Desktop 1.3.1 to 126.96.36.199.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 1.0.4.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from 1.0.4.