Cobalt Ore is a hardmode ore that has a 50% chance of being spawned in a world after destroying one Demon Altar or Crimson Altar. At least a Molten Pickaxe is required to mine Cobalt Ore.
- The stronger alternate to cobalt is Palladium.
- More Cobalt Ore will spawn for every third altar broken after the first.
- Cobalt Ore, like all hardmode ores, cannot be broken by explosives.
- This ore cannot be obtained legitimately prior to killing the Wall of Flesh.
- Cobalt Ore is a weaker alternative to Palladium.
- Cobalt-based blue pigments have been used since ancient times for jewelry and paints, and to impart a distinctive blue tint to glass, but the color was later thought by alchemists to be due to the known metal bismuth. Miners had long used the name kobold ore (German for goblin ore) for some of the blue-pigment producing minerals; they were named because they were poor in known metals and gave poisonous arsenic-containing fumes upon smelting. In 1735, such ores were found to be reducible to a new metal (the first discovered since ancient times), and this was ultimately named for the kobold.
- Now stacks to 999.
- Added to the game.
|Original Metals||Alternative Metals|
|Hard Mode Metals|
|Other Minerals & Materials|
|Items Requiring Cobalt|
|Armor||Cobalt Hat · Cobalt Helmet · Cobalt Mask · Cobalt Breastplate · Cobalt Leggings|
|Tools||Cobalt Drill · Cobalt Chainsaw · Cobalt Pickaxe · Cobalt Waraxe|
|Weapons||Cobalt Repeater · Cobalt Sword · Cobalt Naginata|
|Other||Cobalt Bar · Cobalt Brick|