- Internal Item ID: 156
The Cobalt Shield is a Shield accessory that grants the player immunity from knockback when equipped. It also provides 1 defense, which stacks with defense from Obsidian Skulls and Shackles. It is obtained from Gold Chests found in the Dungeon, or by opening Golden Lock Boxes found in Dungeon Crates.
- The protection against knockback is particularly valuable when the player is likely to come into frequent contact with enemies and environmental hazards, including but not limited to: boss fights which spawn several enemies or projectiles, Bats in the Underground, exposed lava pools, and map-generated traps in the Cavern and Dungeon.
- The knockback immunity is also of particular use when the player is on the move. For instance, farming for Fallen Stars while equipping the Hermes Boots will allow no speed interruptions caused by damage, and traversing through a Corruption chasm will prevent deadly fall damage from possible knockback caused by contact from the commonly encountered Eater of Souls.
- The Cobalt Shield can synergize with the Brand of the Inferno to block attacks, granting the Striking Moment buff.
- Players should upgrade it quickly with Obsidian Skull to make the Obsidian Shield as it's relatively cheap, combines the defense of both, and grants immunity to the Burning debuff.
- It is part of the 4 components of the Ankh Shield that can be obtained in Pre-Hardmode, the others being the Obsidian Skull, Nazar and Bezoar.
- Even though it has the word "Cobalt" in it, and visually appears similar to other Cobalt items, it cannot be crafted from Cobalt Ore / Cobalt Bars.
- Desktop 1.3.2: Equipped sprite updated. Previous equipped sprite was .
- Desktop 1.3.1: Inventory sprite updated. Previous sprite was .
- Desktop 1.2.3: Inventory sprite updated. Previous sprite was .
- Desktop 1.1: Can now be combined with the Obsidian Skull to craft the Obsidian Shield.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Reduced the armor bonus from 2 to 1.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.06: Inventory sprite updated to match Desktop 1.2.3.
- Console-Release: Introduced with stats from Desktop 1.1.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Inventory sprite updated to match Desktop 1.2.3.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Can now be combined with the Obsidian Skull to craft the Obsidian Shield.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced with stats from Desktop 1.0.6.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with stats from Desktop 1.1 and inventory sprite from Desktop 1.2.3.