The Console version of Terraria is published by 505 Games. It is a port of the Desktop version (developed by Re-Logic) ported to Unity by Pipeworks. From 1.4 onwards, however, DR Studios has taken over its development.
The console version is currently available natively on 6 different console systems (3 of which run on Old-gen consoles, which run on the original engine built in XNA.) The game was released on the Nintendo Switch on June 27, 2019. It is also playable on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S via backwards compatibility.
Due to hardware requirement issues and memory constraints, Xbox 360, PS3, PS Vita, and the Wii U, are considered Old-gen platforms and thus will no longer receive significant updates past the 188.8.131.52 Desktop equivalent (see Old-gen console version).
|Console||Date of Last Update||Current Version||Desktop Equivalent|
|Aug 13, 2020||1.21||184.108.40.206|
|Xbox One||Aug 13, 2020||1.21||220.127.116.11|
|Nintendo Switch||Sep 10, 2020||1.0.1168.9||18.104.22.168|
The Nintendo Switch version has some features not found in the other console versions of the game. These include:
- Touchscreen support including various gestures:
- Pinching to zoom on both the map as well as the in-game world
- Quick inventory management
- Tapping the screen to use items
- Quick access to the inventory and minimap
- Quickly toggling visibility on accessories
- Handheld play
- The Nintendo Switch can also be Docked into TV mode, which plays about the same as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 version.
- It also has a local multiplayer mode in Docked mode.
The Switch version also features a new tutorial unique to this version, in which will not save items gained during it.
- Prior to 1.3, the console version was developed by Engine Software.
- Due to unknown reasons, the Xbox One platform unintentionally received the Console 1.0.1372.5 update about 48 hours prior to the official release on the platform.
- Meet The Team: Pipeworks Lead Engineer Eric Hope Sep 7, 2016
- Terraria Launches Today on Nintendo Switch! Jun 27, 2019
- 3DS was only ever going to be 1.2 plus a few extras. Sep 1, 2016
- The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile. Jul 25, 2016
- Xbox 360, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS will no longer receive updates. Nov 19, 2016
- WHY NO 1.3 UPDATES FOR OLDER CONSOLES? Feb 3, 2018
- Terraria Quality of Life Update Out Now for XB1/PS4! Aug 13, 2020
- Splitscreen Terraria Launches on Nintendo Switch Sep 10, 2020
- Terraria State of the Game - April 2019, comment by ClearConscious from Pipeworks Studio May 11, 2019