Coral can be found in the Ocean biomes at the ends of the world. It grows on Sand Blocks underwater and within 250 tiles of the edges of the map and above the depth of -10 feet / 0 feet as long as no more than 5 Corals are within a 7-tile range. It can be harvested either with a pickaxe, by mining out the sand underneath it, or by placing a block above it. It can be placed as a decoration and will have one of many appearances, much like Seashells.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
|Coral Torch||By Hand|
|Shell Pile (4)||Heavy Work Bench|
|Neptune's Shell ( )||Mythril Anvil|
|Gills Potion||Placed Bottle|
|Coralstone Block (5) ( )||Water|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Coral is not limited to only spawning within the generated Ocean's water. As long as the other limits are respected, Coral can grow in water basins on platforms even in the Space layer.
- On Desktop version and Mobile version:
- When Coral spawns, it makes an audible "thump" sound.
- Spawn rates are increased during Rain and Wind weather, with a maximum bonus when both are at their strongest.
- Spawn rates are increased for every empty tile above a sand block, up to 14 tiles. This means two platforms of sand within 14 tiles would have the same spawn rate if not for the extra layer of solid block needed under the sand. Empty tiles can include walls and inactive tiles.
- Spawn rates are decreased if 1 or more Seashell or Coral are within 11 tiles, and can no longer spawn if more than 5 are within 7 tiles.
- On earlier versions, while each piece of Coral only needs one block under it, it essentially takes up an extra half-space on each side, preventing walls or objects from being placed directly to either side. For example, to place 5 coral between walls, you would need the walls to be at least 11-blocks apart. To fit the same 5 coral on an open platform, it only needs to be 9-blocks wide. Verify
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Coral can be correctly classified as a plant, animal, and mineral at the same time.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now correctly matches its tile placement preview.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: No longer used to craft the Neptune's Shell, as it is now dropped by the Creature from the Deep.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Now used for crafting the Sonar Potion.
- Desktop 1.2: Coral must be collected by a pickaxe, stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.