A Crafting Station allows players to craft various items. Entering the inventory screen displays the "Crafting window" in the lower-left, and when the player is standing near one or more Crafting Stations and possesses the right crafting ingredients, the bar is expanded with additional item choices.
Nearly all crafting stations are furniture. There are currently 44 crafting stations in total.
|By Hand||Items that appear in the crafting menu even when no crafting station is nearby are considered crafted "by hand".|
|Work Bench||Crafts basic Furniture and building materials. Also crafts some early Wooden weapons and Armor.|
|Crafts Bars from raw mined Ore, as well as some building materials, like Bricks. Also crafts Glass and some Glass items. The Hellforge is an upgraded version that adds the ability to craft Hellstone Bars.|
|Crafts Tools, Weapons, and Armor. Also some furniture and other items. Iron and Lead Anvils are functionally identical.|
|Crafts Potions, Vile/Vicious Powder, and Purple and White Threads. A Bottle, Pink Vase, Mug, or any Cup variant will function as this crafting station, as long as they are placed, which requires a flat Furniture item: a Platform/shelf, Table, Workbench, Dresser, Piano, Bookcase, or Tinkerer's Workshop. The Alchemy Table is an upgraded version that offers a |
|Sink||Crafts items that otherwise require Water nearby.|
|Sawmill||Crafts additional Furniture. Also crafts the Loom crafting station.|
|Loom||Crafts Silk from Cobwebs, and some Silk vanity items.|
|Table and Chair||Any Table and Chair placed next to each other functions as a station solely for crafting Watches. Both chair and table need to be within crafting range but do not need to be beside each other.|
|Work Bench and Chair||Any Work Bench and Chair placed near to each other functions as a station for crafting Goggles and Sunglasses. Both chair and work bench need to be within crafting range but do not need to be beside each other.|
|Crafts Food items. The Cauldron is functionally identical, though visually Halloween-themed.|
|Tinkerer's Workshop||Combines Accessory items together into new compact Accessories with combined functionality.|
|Imbuing Station||Crafts Flasks.|
|Dye Vat||Crafts Dyes and Paints.|
|Heavy Work Bench||Crafts Statues and several multiplayer, decorative, and alternative items like Trapped Chests, Cracked Dungeon Bricks, the Tall Gate, Gem Locks, and Gemstone Blocks.|
|Crafts some Boss-summoning items, as well as the Night's Edge Pre-Hardmode sword. The Demon and Crimson Altars are functionally identical. These stations are unique in that they are not placed by the player, but instead generate on world creation in Corruption/Crimson areas respectively, as well as sporadically around the border between Surface and Underground.|
|Upgraded Iron Anvil/Lead Anvil, adding the ability to craft many Hardmode weapons, armor, and other items.|
|Upgraded Hellforge, adding the ability to craft Bars out of late-Hardmode Ores: Adamantite Ore, Titanium Ore, and Chlorophyte Ore. Can also craft crystal blocks.|
|Bookcase||The Bookcase can be crafted or found in Pre-Hardmode, but as a crafting station it is only for Hardmode Magic Weapons.|
|Crystal Ball||Crafts Endless Quiver and Endless Musket Pouch, in addition to visual effect items like animated blocks, droppers, Living Fire Blocks. Waterfall Blocks, Lavafall Blocks, and Honeyfall Blocks require their respective liquids to also be nearby.|
|Autohammer||Crafts Shroomite Bars.|
|Ancient Manipulator||Crafts a variety of end-game items from Lunar Fragments and Luminite.|
These have limited crafting use and only craft a couple of arguably non-essential items.
|Keg||Solely crafts Ale.|
|Teapot||Solely crafts Teacups.|
|Living Wood||Solely crafts Living Wood Walls.|
|Blend-O-Matic||Solely crafts Asphalt Blocks.|
|Meat Grinder||Solely crafts Flesh Blocks and Lesion Blocks.|
The following crafting stations are used to craft themed versions of various furniture items.
|Glass Kiln||Glass |
|Living Loom||Living Tree|
|Sky Mill||Sky |
|Decay Chamber||Corruption (Lesion)|
|Flesh Cloning Vat||Crimson (Flesh)|
|Lihzahrd Furnace||Jungle Temple|
A few items require standing near liquids to appear in the crafting menu. Standing next to any Sink type works if the required liquid is water.
|Water||Crafts Bottled Water and Mud Blocks. Also crafts Waterfall Blocks and Rain Clouds when a Crystal Ball and a Sky Mill are nearby, respectively.|
|Lava||Crafts Lavafall Blocks when a Crystal Ball is nearby.|
|Honey||Crafts Bottled Honey. Also crafts Honeyfall Blocks when a Crystal Ball is nearby.|
- Crafting Snow Clouds requires the player to be in the Snow biome (a Sky Mill is also required).
- Being in a Graveyard is required for crafting various items (other crafting stations are also required, see Ecto Mist for details).
These do not use the crafting menu but produce items in unique ways.
|Campfire||The player holds a Marshmallow on a Stick near the fire to turn it into a Cooked Marshmallow.|
|Extractinator||Silt, Slush and Desert Fossil blocks are placed on the Extractinator, which causes it to drop coins, random ores, and gems.|
Crafting station reach
- The player can reach any crafting station within ~3 blocks to their left or right, 3 blocks below them, or the 3 blocks of their character's height. This gives a total reach of ~8 by 6 blocks centered below the player. This is shorter than the player's reach for tools or chests of ~10 by 9 centered on the player.
- Unlike the player's item reach, crafting reach cannot be extended by items such as the Architect Gizmo Pack or Extendo Grip.
- The crafting reach of the player isn't a whole number. If they press against a wall, they can reach a crafting station 4 blocks away, but they will never be able to reach 2 crafting stations 4 blocks away on either side. This can be easily tested by locking the player in a 2 wide space with crafting stations 4 blocks away on either side of them; they will only be able to reach 1 crafting station at any given time. Similarly, the player's item reach will extend to 5 blocks if pressed against a wall. Interestingly, the player has to be closer to the wall to extend item reach compared to crafting reach.
This list shows the general order a new player will likely need to follow in obtaining the basic crafting stations. This list only covers stations for essential tools and game advancement. Others can be obtained in more varying orders.
- Work Bench: crafted by hand from Wood.
- Wooden Table, Wooden Chair: crafted at the Work Bench from Wood.
- Furnace: crafted at the Work Bench, from Wood, Stone, and Torches.
- Iron Anvil/Lead Anvil: crafted at the Work Bench from Iron Bars/Lead Bars.
- Sawmill: crafted at the Workbench, from an Iron Chain, Wood, and Iron Bars.
- Loom: crafted at the Sawmill.
- Hellforge: found in The Underworld, generated with the world inside Ruined Houses.
- Mythril Anvil/Orichalcum Anvil: crafted at the Iron/Lead Anvil from Mythril Bars/Orichalcum Bars
- Adamantite Forge/Titanium Forge: crafted at Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil from a Hellforge and Adamantite Ore/Titanium Ore.
- Ancient Manipulator: dropped by Lunatic Cultist
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 1.2.3: Added 8 new crafting stations.
- Desktop 1.2: There are several new crafting stations.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.