|Knockback||0 (No knockback)|
|Use time||24 (Fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons a cloud to rain blood on your foes|
- Blood Cloud Moving
- Blood Cloud Raining
- Blood Rain
The Crimson Rod is a magic weapon that launches a reddish rain cloud towards the cursor, where it rains damaging blood droplets downward onto enemies below. The cloud projectile does not pass through terrain, instead stopping if it hits a surface before it reaches its target location. As well, its coverage area is rather narrow, making it difficult to use in open areas or against agile foes. The droplets can pierce one enemy, dissipating upon hitting a second one or a solid block. They also dissipate after falling for around 20 tiles.
Its best modifier is Demonic or Deadly for damage output, or Mystic for mana conservation because it cannot get modifiers that affect knockback. Note that with the Rod's sentry-like summon pattern, mana usage is unlikely to be an issue, and that boosts to speed only affect how quickly the cloud can be resummoned, not how quickly the cloud produces rain.
- Spawning the cloud directly above a one-block thick floor will allow the rain to pass through the block, hitting enemies below it.
- Once placed, the cloud will remain for one minute, similarly to the Nimbus Rod's cloud.
- Only one cloud can be placed at a time.
- The Crimson Rod can be good at taking out large groups of enemies, especially during events, such as the Goblin Army or Blood Moon.
- The Crimson Rod alone can take out most pre-Hardmode bosses faster than most magic weapons.
- The Crimson Rod is the counterpart to the Corruption's Vilethorn, as the Vilethorn is the magic weapon drop from Shadow Orbs.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Can now be dropped at a 1 in 30 (3.33%) chance as the main loot item from Crimson Crates.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Can now be dropped at a 1 in 30 (3.33%) chance as the main loot item from Crimson Crates. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Can now be dropped at a 1 in 30 (3.33%) chance as the main loot item from Crimson Crates. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Can now be dropped at a 1 in 30 (3.33%) chance as the main loot item from Crimson Crates.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.