Dead Man's Chest
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Activates when opened|
The Dead Man's Chest is a naturally-generating Gold Chest that is rigged with various traps in order to kill the player upon opening the chest. The setup usually includes 3-5 Boulder traps, 2-6 Dart Traps, and 0-3 Explosives, with a possibility of 1-2 Geysers at lava level. The Boulder traps are set up above the chest, while the Dart Traps are setup horizontally, and the explosives hidden underneath.
Dead Man's Chests will always generate alone, and never in an Underground Cabin.
Loot[edit | edit source]
|33.33%||1 / 3||Dead Man's Sweater|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Boulder traps that are wired to the Dead Man's Chest are rigged with Actuators rather than Active Stone Blocks.
- The Dead Man's Chest functions similar to a Trapped Chest, by sending a signal to any connected wires. However, their two differences are that the Dead Man's Chest has storage slots, and that the Dead Man's Chest can spawn naturally in a world.
- Fairies can lead to the Dead Man's Chest.
- The achievement can still be obtained even if the chest is renamed.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While the combination of traps can prove deadly to even a player with end-game gear, most of them can be avoided by simply using solid blocks, and the explosives can be mined.
- Holding a Mechanical Lens or The Grand Design can easily reveal all the traps around the chest, and provides lots of wire and actuators to harvest.
- The most evident giveaway of a Dead Man's chest are the Boulder traps above it, as they are larger and generally easier to spot than the 1x1-tile dart traps and hidden explosives.
- Attempting to use the Block Swap feature to swap out these chests for harmless ones will still trigger the traps.
- When picked up, Dead Man's Chest still retains its ability to trigger wires attached to it. This can make it useful as an interesting way to activate player devices, particularly for quest or challenge maps (for instance, activating fireworks when a player obtains the gem from the chest).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The term “Dead Man’s Chest” comes from a pirate song in Robert Louis Stevenson's adventure novel "Treasure Island". The lyrics are " Fifteen men on a Dead Man's Chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum".
- The term was also used as a movie title in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
- The achievements description is a direct reference to a quote from Jurassic Park, when Dr. Ian Malcolm states that "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.