Debuffs are a feature first introduced in patch 1.0.6. Debuffs bestow negative effects upon their bearers, and unlike Buffs, cannot be removed by right-clicking on their icons. There are several accessories which provide immunity to a single Debuff, which build into the Ankh Charm, giving immunity to many debuffs. Some Monsters can be infected with certain debuffs, including Confused, Cursed Inferno, On Fire! and Poisoned.
Debuffs will naturally wear off after a short period of time, though some may last up to a few minutes. The Nurse can cure debuffs at the cost of 7 50 per debuff.
In 1.2, many new accessories were added which prevent one specific debuff each, and can be combined at a Tinkerer's Workshop to create versions that give immunity to all the debuffs of their components.
|ID||Icon||Name||Inflicted By||Tooltip||Duration||Effect||Prevented by|
|203||Betsy's Curse||Betsy's Wrath||Defense is lowered||5 seconds||
All enemies struck will have defense lowered by 40.
Can't be inflicted on player
|Light vision severely reduced||4 seconds||Screen is reduced to almost complete darkness||None|
Brain of Cthulhu
Rusty Armored Bones
|Cannot regenerate life||45 seconds||Prevents natural health regeneration||Adhesive Bandage and anything crafted from it|
|36||Broken Armor||Defense is cut in half||2 minutes||Defense is reduced by half||Armor Polish and anything crafted from it|
|Losing life and slowed movement||Until losing contact||Movement speed halved|
50 health lost per second
|Obsidian Skull and anything crafted from it|
|183||Celled||Star Cell||Being eaten by cells||6-9 seconds||10 health lost per second for every attached mini-cell, up to 100 health per second. Can't be inflicted to players.||None|
|88||Chaos State||Rod of Discord||Using the Rod of Discord will take life||6 seconds (since 184.108.40.206)||Using the Rod of Discord deals damage equal to 14.29% of the player's maximum health (or 16.67%). Resets debuff duration.||None|
|46||Chilled||Your movement speed has been reduced||10-20 seconds|
45 seconds (Ice Golem)
|Movement speed halved ||Hand Warmer and Ankh Shield.|
Brain of Confusion
Dao of Pow
Light MummyBrain Scrambler
|Movement is reversed||7 seconds||Player movement is temporarily reversed|
Confused enemies will flee.
|199||Creative Shock||Old One's Army||You Lost the power of creation||During the whole Old One's Army event.||The player cannot place or destroy blocks. (Certain exceptions, such as Sandgun and Actuators, are extempt from this debuff)||Automatically removed when the event ends or if the player is out of range.|
Dragon Skull (console)
|Cannot use any items||4 seconds||
Prevents the player from using items
(Accesories are usable)
|Nazar and anything crafted from it|
|Losing life fast||7 seconds||6 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration and the effect cannot be removed by water.
Scythes from Demons, Voodoo Demons, and Arch Demons (console)
|Decreased light vision||15 seconds||Decreases the player's vision||Blindfold and anything crafted from it|
|Incenerated by solar rays||15 Seconds||Deals 100 damage per second; the Daybreak can stack this up to eight times, up to 800 damage per second. Can't be inflicted to players||None|
|160||Dazed||None||Movement speed is greatly reduced||N/A||Horizontal movement reduced by roughly 75%.||None|
|Gravity around you is distorted||6-12 seconds||Causes the player to randomly float up and down. The effect cannot be countered.||None|
|186||Dryad's Bane||Dryad||The power of nature protects you||While within the Dryad's leaf shield||-2 health per second; damage increases for every boss defeated, as well as if playing in Expert Mode. Can't be inflicted to players.||None|
|You cannot move||4-8 seconds||Causes constant health loss and prevents natural health regeneration.|
-4/s when standing still
-16/s when moving
|Increased damage, Decreased life regen, Causes other debuffs effects||5-8 seconds||Increases player damage but decreases health regeneration and applies random debuffs||Most of the debuffs it can lead to are easily negated with relevant accesories such as Ankh Shield|
Flower of Frost
Melee and Ranged damage with Frost Armor
|It's either really hot or really cold. Either way it REALLY hurts||4 seconds|
|8 health lost per second. Prevents natural health regeneration||Hand Warmer|
Spiked Ice Slime
|Frozen in place||2 seconds||Encases the player in ice, rendering them helpless||Hand Warmer|
|37||Horrified||Wall of Flesh||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape||Being in the underworld when Wall of Flesh spawns.||Causes the player to die if they leave the underworld.||Defeat the boss, or get killed by it will remove the debuff.|
Ichor Sticker (Ichor Stream)
|Reduced defense||15 seconds||Reduces defense by 20||None|
|94||Mana Sickness||Consuming any Mana Potion||Magic damage reduced by x%||5 seconds||
Magic damage is reduced by 5% per seconds left; max 50% at 10 seconds
|72||Midas||Flask of Gold|
|Drop more money on death||15 minutes||More money is dropped by affected players and enemies||None|
|194||Mighty Wind||Sandstorm||The wind moves you around!||Only while in the Desert during a Sandstorm||Slows or speeds up player movement depending on direction||None|
|145||Moon Bite||Moon Lord||You are unable to absorb any healing effects||14 /||
Does not stop health-regen, so relevant items, such as Life Drain, can be used
|Getting too far from Moon Lord|
|163||Obstructed||Contact with Brain Sucklers||You can't see!||Infinite, until the brain suckler is defeated||Darkens most of the screen except for a small area around the player.||None|
|Slowly losing life.||3-7 seconds||4 health lost per second;
6 health lost per second.
Halts natural health regeneration.
Obsidian Skin Potion 
|197||Oozed||Ogre||Player can barely move during the duration of the debuff.||14 seconds||Player's horizontal movement speed is greatly reduced. Does not affect wings and flying mounts.||None|
|169||Penetrated||Bone Javelins||Bleeding Out||15 seconds||Deals 3 damage per second for every Javelin stuck in the target, up to 18 DPS at 6 Javelins. Can't be inflicted to players.||None|
|Slowly losing life||7-10 seconds||2 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration.
|21||Potion Sickness||Consuming certain healing items ||Cannot consume anymore healing items||60 seconds||Prevents the player from consuming healing items||Philosopher's Stone and Charm of Myths|
(reduces time to 45, effect doesn't stack)
Shadowflame Hex Doll
|Losing life||5-8 seconds||Deals 15 damage per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration. Players can't be affected.
|Cannot use items that require mana||7 seconds||Prevents the player from casting any spells||Megaphone and anything crafted from it.|
|137||Slime||Slime Gun||You are dripping slime||30 seconds||Affected entity drips slime (Cosmetic).||None|
|Movement speed is reduced||15 seconds||Horizontal movement speed halved ||Fast Clock, anything crafted from it|
|120||Stinky||Stink Potion||You smell terrible||30 seconds||Green fumes appear around you (Cosmetic).||None|
|156||Stoned||Medusa||You are completely petrified!||1-4 seconds||Player can't do anything. Increases fall damage and reduces minimum distance for fall damage to occur.||
Avoid looking at Medusa while in attack state
|Heart Arrows||N/A||5-7 seconds||Completely stuns affected enemies||None|
|68||Suffocation||Being encased in a falling block (Sand, Silt, Slush)|
|Losing life||Until free from gravity-affected (sand, silt etc.) blocks|
Red Potion expires
|10 health lost per second.
Red Potion lasts for an hour.
|192||Buff.name.SugarRush||None||Buff.description.SugarRush||Unknown||No effect.||None, can manually be removed by right-clicking, suggesting that it used to be a buff in game development.|
|38||The Tongue||Wall of Flesh||You are being sucked into the mouth||While being dragged by the Wall of Flesh||Unable to move or use items.
Wall of Flesh pulls the player in front of itself, dealing 50 damage per second in Expert Mode.
|Stay ahead of it|
|Increased melee abilities, lowered defense||2 minutes||2% increased melee critical hit chance|
10% increased melee attack speed
10% increased melee damage
|Losing life||8 seconds||6 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration.
|86||Water Candle||Water Candle||Increased Monster Spawn Rate||Until out of range of Candle||Enemy Spawn rate increased||Remove the Candle|
|33||Weak||Corruptor (Vile Spit)|
|Physical abilities are decreased||5 minutes||
|149||Webbed||Black Recluse in Expert Mode||You are stuck||1 second||Disables player movemengt.||None|
|103||Wet||Water Gun||You are dripping water||25 seconds||
Affected entity drips water (Cosmetic).
Can trigger Cute Fishron's speed boost.
|195||Wither Armor||Wither Beast||Your armor is lowered!||While inside the circle.|
5 / Seconds otherwise.
|Reduces defense by half.||None|
|196||Wither Weapon||Etherian Lightning Bug||Your attacks are weaker!||5 seconds||Reduces all damage inflicted by half.||None|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Debuff nullified by running
- ↑ This debuff works identically to the Oozed Debuff, therefore it is possible that Dazed was planned to be added in the place of Oozed, but was cut by unknown reasons.
- ↑ The following monsters can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fire Imp (Burning Sphere), Lava Slime, Meteor Head, Skeleton Archer (Flaming Arrows)
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fiery Greatsword, Flamarang, Flamelash, Flamethrower, Flaming Arrow, Flower of Fire, Molten Fury, Molten Hamaxe, Molten Pickaxe, Sunfury
- ↑ These items will only give protection against the On Fire! debuff inflicted by Lava, as well as lava damage. They will not protect against the debuff from other sources.
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the Poisoned debuff: Blade of Grass, Poisoned Knife, Thorn Chakram, Tonbogiri.
- ↑ The following healing items will inflict the Potion Sickness debuff: Bottled Water, Glowing Mushroom, Goldfish, Greater Healing Potion, Healing Potion, Lesser Healing Potion, Lesser Restoration Potion, Mushroom, Restoration Potion
- ↑ Apparently, the Sugar Rush Debuff was planned to be inflicted by the cut Slice of Cake item.
- ↑ Withered armor can stack with Broken Armor. However, instead of completely removing the player's defense (50+50=100% Armor reduction) it will instead lower the defense by 75%. This is because they won't trigger on the same time, so first it will inflict a 50% armor reduction, then another 50% on the remaining defense value. (i.e: 50 Defense - 50% = 25 - 50% = 12.5 (Rounded down to 12)).
- When curing the Potion Sickness debuff via the Nurse, the icon disappears but the actual effects of the debuff are not removed.
- The Bleeding effect can be overridden by the Campfire effect and various accessories.
- On the 3DS version, the Mana Sickness Debuff does not occur when the player drinks a mana potion, allowing for unlimited mana.
- On the 3DS version, the Broken Armor Debuff can last to over 10 minutes.
- Fixed a bug that caused Distorted to freeze players instead of changing their movement pattern.
- Moon Bite added.
- Added Mana Sickness and Wet.
- On fire! debuff now causes the player's hair to fade to crisp black, depending on how low their health is.
- Added Chaos State
- Debuffs now properly stack on monsters in multiplayer.
- Water Candle now provides a visible debuff.
- Added Chilled, Frozen, Ichor, Venom and Blackout debuffs.
- Broken Armor debuff now lasts for 2 minutes, down from 5.
- Added to the game.