Debuffs are a feature first introduced in patch 1.0.6. Debuffs bestow negative effects upon their bearers, and unlike Buffs, cannot be removed by right-clicking on their icons. There are several accessories which provide immunity to a single Debuff, which build into the Ankh Charm, giving immunity to many debuffs. Some Monsters can be infected with certain debuffs, including Confused, Cursed Inferno, On Fire! and Poisoned.
Debuffs will naturally wear off after a short period of time, though some may last up to a few minutes. The Nurse can cure debuffs at the cost of 7 50 per debuff.
In 1.2, many new accessories were added which prevent one specific debuff each, and can be combined at a Tinkerer's Workshop to create versions that give immunity to all the debuffs of their components.
|ID||Icon||Name||Inflicted By||Tooltip||Duration||Effect||Prevented by|
|203||Betsy's Curse||Betsy's Wrath||Defense is lowered||5 seconds||All enemies struck will have defense lowered by 40||None|
|Light vision severely reduced||4 seconds||Screen is reduced to almost complete darkness||None|
Brain of Cthulhu
Rusty Armored Bones
|Cannot regenerate life||45 seconds||Prevents natural health regeneration||Adhesive Bandage|
|36||Broken Armor||Defense is cut in half||2 minutes||Defense is reduced by half||Armor Polish|
|Losing life and slowed movement||Until losing contact||Movement speed halved|
50 health lost per second
|183||Celled||Star Cell||Being eaten by cells||6-9 seconds||10 health lost per second for every attached mini-cell, up to 100 health per second.||N/A|
|88||Chaos State||Rod of Discord||Using the Rod of Discord will take life||6 seconds (since 184.108.40.206)||Using the Rod of Discord deals damage equal to 14.29% of the player's maximum health (or 16.67%)||None|
|46||Chilled||Your movement speed has been reduced||10-20 seconds|
45 seconds (Ice Golem)
|Movement speed halved ||Hand Warmer|
Brain of Confusion
Dao of Pow
Light MummyBrain Scrambler
|Movement is reversed||7 seconds||Player movement is temporarily reversed|
Confused monsters will flee
|199||Creative Shock||Old One's Army||You Lost the power of creation||During the whole Old One's Army event.||The player cannot place or destroy blocks.||Automatically removed when the event ends.|
Dragon Skull (console)
|Cannot use any items||4 seconds||Prevents the player from using items||Nazar|
|Losing life fast||7 seconds||6 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration. Water has no effect on this debuff.
Scythes from Demons, Voodoo Demons, and Arch Demons (console)
|Decreased light vision||15 seconds||Decreases the player's vision||Blindfold|
|Incenerated by solar rays||15 Seconds||Deals 100 damage per second; the Daybreak can stack this up to eight times, up to 800 damage per second.||None and can't be inflicted to player.|
|160||Dazed||Unknown||Movement speed is greatly reduced||TBA||Horizontal movement reduced by roughly ~75%.||None|
|Gravity around you is distorted||6-12 seconds||Causes the player to randomly float up and down. The effect cannot be countered.||None|
|186||Dryad's Bane||Dryad||The power of nature protects you||While within the Dryad's leaf shield||-2 health per second; damage increases for every boss defeated, as well as if playing in Expert Mode.||N/A (cannot be inflicted on players)|
|You cannot move||4-8 seconds||Causes constant health loss and prevents natural health regeneration.|
-4/s when standing still
-16/s when moving
|Increased damage, Decreased life regen, Causes status effects||5-8 seconds||Increases player damage but decreases health regeneration and applies random debuffs||None, though the resulting debuffs can sometimes be negated by certain accessories|
Flower of Frost
Melee and Ranged damage with Frost Armor
|It's either really hot or really cold. Either way it REALLY hurts||4 seconds|
|8 health lost per second. Prevents natural health regeneration||Hand Warmer|
Spiked Ice Slime
|Frozen in place||2 seconds||Encases the player in ice, rendering them helpless||Hand Warmer|
|37||Horrified||Wall of Flesh||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape||While fighting the Wall of Flesh.||Causes the player to die if they leave the underworld||Kill the Wall of Flesh or get killed by it.|
Ichor Sticker (Ichor Stream)
|Reduced defense||15 seconds||Reduces the player's current defense by 20||None|
|94||Mana Sickness||Consuming any Mana Potion||Magic damage reduced by x%||5 seconds||
Magic damage is reduced by 5% per seconds left; max 50% at 10 seconds
|72||Midas||Flask of Gold|
|Drop more money on death||15 minutes||Increases money drops for the player and monsters||None|
|194||Mighty Wind||Sandstorm||The wind moves you around!||Only while in the Desert during a Sandstorm||Slows or speeds up player movement depending on direction||None|
|145||Moon Bite||Moon Lord||You are unable to absorb any healing effects||14 /||
Does not stop health-regen, so Life Drain can be used
|163||Obstructed||Contact with Brain Sucklers||You can't see!||Until the Brain Suckler is killed||Darkens most of the screen except for a small area around the player.||Avoid Brain Sucklers|
|Slowly losing life.||3-7 seconds||4 health lost per second; can be put out by going in water.
6 health lost per second.
Halts natural health regeneration.
Obsidian Skin Potion 
|197||Oozed||Ogre||Player can barely move during the duration of the debuff.||14 seconds||Player movement speed is greatly reduced. Flight is unaffected.||None|
|169||Penetrated||Bone Javelins||Bleeding Out||15 seconds||Deals 3 damage per second for every Javelin stuck in the target, up to 18 DPS at 6 Javelins.||None|
|Slowly losing life||7-10 seconds||2 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration.
|21||Potion Sickness||Consuming certain healing items ||Cannot consume anymore healing items||60 seconds||Prevents the player from consuming healing items||Philosopher's Stone|
(reduces time to 45)
Shadowflame Hex Doll
|Losing life||5-8 seconds||Deals 15 damage per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration.
|Cannot use items that require mana||7 seconds||Prevents the player from casting any spells||Megaphone|
|137||Slime||Slime Gun||You are dripping slime||30 seconds||Affected entity drips slime (Cosmetic).||None|
|Movement speed is reduced||15 seconds||Horizontal movement speed halved ||Fast Clock|
|120||Stinky||Stink Potion||You smell terrible||30 seconds||Green fumes appear around you (Cosmetic).||None|
|156||Stoned||Medusa||You are completely petrified!||1-4 seconds||Player can't do anything. Increases fall damage and reduces minimum distance for fall damage to occur.||Avoid looking at Medusa while in attack state, otherwise a Pocket Mirror|
|Heart Arrows||N/A||5-7 seconds||Completely stuns affected enemies||None|
|68||Suffocation||Being encased in a falling block (Sand, Silt, Slush)|
|Losing life||Until free from gravity-affected (sand, silt etc.) blocks|
Red Potion expires
|10 health lost per second.
Red Potion lasts for an hour.
|192||Buff.name.SugarRush||Unknown effect||Buff.description.SugarRush||Unknown||Unknown effect. Possible a placeholder debuff/buff for a future update.||None, can manually be removed by right-clicking, suggesting that it was a planned buff.|
|38||The Tongue||Wall of Flesh||You are being sucked into the mouth||While being dragged by the Wall of Flesh||Unable to move or use items.
Wall of Flesh pulls the player in front of itself, dealing 50 damage per second in Expert Mode.
|Increased melee abilities, lowered defense||2 minutes||2% increased melee critical hit chance|
10% increased melee attack speed
10% increased melee damage
|Losing life||8 seconds||6 health lost per second.
Prevents natural health regeneration.
|86||Water Candle||Water Candle||Increased Monster Spawn Rate||Until out of range of Candle||Enemy Spawn rate increased||Remove the Candle|
|33||Weak||Corruptor (Vile Spit)|
|Physical abilities are decreased||5 minutes||
|149||Webbed||Black Recluse in Expert Mode||You are stuck||1 second||Disables player movemengt.||None|
|103||Wet||Water Gun||You are dripping water||25 seconds||Affected entity drips water (Cosmetic).||None|
|195||Wither Armor||Wither Beast||Your armor is lowered!||While staying inside their magic circle||Reduces defense by half.||None|
|196||Wither Weapon||Etherian Lightning Bug||Your attacks are weaker!||5 seconds||Reduces all damage inflicted by roughly ~40%.||None|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Debuff nullified by running
- ↑ The following monsters can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fire Imp (Burning Sphere), Lava Slime, Meteor Head, Skeleton Archer (Flaming Arrows)
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fiery Greatsword, Flamarang, Flamelash, Flamethrower, Flaming Arrow, Flower of Fire, Molten Fury, Molten Hamaxe, Molten Pickaxe, Sunfury
- ↑ These items will only give protection against the On Fire! debuff inflicted by Lava, as well as lava damage. They will not protect against the debuff from other sources.
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the Poisoned debuff: Blade of Grass, Poisoned Knife, Thorn Chakram, Tonbogiri.
- ↑ The following healing items will inflict the Potion Sickness debuff: Bottled Water, Glowing Mushroom, Goldfish, Greater Healing Potion, Healing Potion, Lesser Healing Potion, Lesser Restoration Potion, Mushroom, Restoration Potion
- ↑ Withered armor can stack with Broken Armor. However, instead of completely removing the player's defense (50+50=100% Armor reduction) it will instead lower the defense by 75%. This is because they won't trigger on the same time, so first it will inflict a 50% armor reduction, then another 50% on the remaining defense value. (i.e: 50 Defense - 50% = 25 - 50% = 12.5 (Rounded down to 12)).
- When curing the Potion Sickness debuff via the Nurse, the icon disappears but the actual effects of the debuff are not removed.
- The Bleeding effect can be overridden by the Campfire effect and various accessories.
- On the 3DS version, the Mana Sickness Debuff does not occur when the player drinks a mana potion, allowing for unlimited mana.
- On the 3DS version, the Broken Armor Debuff can last to over 10 minutes.
- Fixed a bug that caused Distorted to freeze players instead of changing their movement pattern.
- Moon Bite added.
- Added Mana Sickness and Wet.
- On fire! debuff now causes the player's hair to fade to crisp black, depending on how low their health is.
- Added Chaos State
- Debuffs now properly stack on monsters in multiplayer.
- Water Candle now provides a visible debuff.
- Added Chilled, Frozen, Ichor, Venom and Blackout debuffs.
- Broken Armor debuff now lasts for 2 minutes, down from 5.
- Added to the game.