|AI Type||Fighter AI|
|Banner||Doctor Bones Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 52
Doctor Bones is a zombie variant that rarely appears in the Jungle and Underground Jungle at night. It acts the same as normal zombies, slowly walking towards the player to deal contact damage, while attempting to navigate around obstacles and only being able to open doors during a Blood Moon. It has significantly greater health than all other zombies and deals slightly higher damage. It drops the Archaeologist's Hat when killed.
It does not have any variants, nor does it have an Armed variation in Expert Mode.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
- Despite dropping the Archaeologist's Hat, the other two pieces of the Archaeologist's set are crafted using Leather.
- To increase the chance of Doctor Bones spawning, the player can place or hold a Water Candle and use a Battle Potion on the Jungle Surface during the night. It will greatly increase the chance of him spawning. For better results during most moon phases, the player should not do this during a Blood Moon as the additional enemies lower Doctor Bones' spawn rate overall. Doctor Bones has a higher spawn rate if the world has not entered Hardmode yet. This is because the new enemies spawning in larger amounts during Hardmode will decrease Doctor Bones' spawn chance, just like any other rare creatures.
- Doctor Bones can spawn at any depth on Jungle grass blocks, only during the night.
- Due to the increased spawn pool during rain, Doctor Bones' spawn rate decreases.
- The phase of the moon affects Doctor Bones' spawning, it spawns more frequently during a Waning Crescent and less frequently during a Full Moon.
- During a Blood Moon and Full Moon Doctor Bones spawns as frequently as during a Waning Crescent due to the decreased spawn rate of The Groom and The Bride.
- Doctor Bones is a parody of Indiana Jones, also known as Doctor Jones, who is an archaeologist known to always retrieve his hat.
- Doctor Bones has the most health of any zombie variant, with the Hat Mushroom Zombie in second and The Groom and The Bride close behind.
- The Bestiary entry for Doctor Bones: "This particular zombie has a knack for finding historical artifacts, but has a terrible disdain towards snakes."
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.