Eater of Worlds
|Debuff tooltip||Physical abilities are decreased|
|Duration||n/a10 minutes12.5 minutes|
- Internal Buff ID: 33
"Screams echo around you..."
The Eater of Worlds is a pre-Hardmode Corruption-themed worm boss. It is summoned using Worm Food from within The Corruption or Underground Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs that spawn in Corruption worlds. It can be summoned at any time of day.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of segments with individual life counters. On the Console version, Old-gen console version, and version, it has a total of 50 segments, whereas on Desktop and Mobile it has a total of 67 / 72 segments. When any inner body segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss. The Eater of Worlds, like all worms, is immune to lava.
Fighting the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scales, and it is one of the ways to obtain usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. Defeating the Eater of Worlds allows the Tavernkeep NPC to spawn, and on Desktop and Mobile, since Meteorite can no longer blow up, allows the crafting of a Nightmare Pickaxe to mine it.
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|NPC ID||Type||Health||Damage||Defense||Extra Drops|
|13||Eater of Worlds Head||150/210/267||22/48/72||2/4|
|14||Eater of Worlds Body||150/210/267||13/20/31||4/6|
|15||Eater of Worlds Tail||150/210/267||11/17/26||8/10|
- If the player dies or leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will stop following the player and start burrowing into the ground until it despawns. Note that if the player goes to the Crimson, the Eater of Worlds will continue to chase the player.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will not work and the item will not be consumed. Breaking multiple Shadow Orbs will still allow multiple Eaters of Worlds to spawn (Not possible in 1.4). Regardless of how many are summoned, only the last head alive will display the defeat message.
- Note that actually defeating the Eater of Worlds is not completely necessary to progress, as a certain amount of segments may drop the needed amount of materials.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: the head section will deal significantly more damage than the body or tail, but also has the least defense.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part had only consisted of two segments, will kill both, with both segments dropping loot.
- When the Eater of Worlds splits, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The segment that becomes the head will not heal. Newly formed worms tend to retreat into the ground.
- Depending on where exactly the Eater of Worlds is summoned, it may get stuck underneath empty terrain such as a cave. It will only be stuck for a few seconds, however, since it can travel through blocks.
- The Eater of Worlds spawns in a coiled state and unravels from there. Attacking it with piercing weapons in this state will damage all its segments, which can kill it in seconds.
- The Eater of Worlds only takes 65% of the usual damage from Molotov Cocktails.
Expert Mode changesEdit
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds gains a 40% health increase. This brings its original Classic mode health of 10800 / 7500 health up to 15120 / 10500 health.
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds periodically shoots Vile Spit projectiles from all body parts. These projectiles have a
5*1/20 (5%) chance to inflict the Weak debuff onto the player for 10 minutes.
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds takes 80% less damage from most explosives.
- This damage reduction does not seem to apply to Bouncy Bombs.
- It has a ~20% speed increase compared to normal mode.
- When fought above the ground, the Eater of Worlds moves quicker and constantly fires Vile Spit at the player.
Master Mode changesEdit
- Effective weapons include piercing or area-of-effect weapons, such as the Vilethorn, the Water Bolt, Spiky Balls, or Grenades, and fast melee weapons, such as the Falcon Blade and the Terragrim or Arkhalis.
- Like other worm-types, once the Eater's head passes a given point, every body segment must follow. This allows the player to stand next to the body, attacking every segment as it goes by. The player should be wary of the head looping back around.
- Killing the head of the Eater of Worlds causes its speed to drastically decrease, almost to a stop.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tail of each section, as if they die first, the Eater will not split. Note that the head is far more vulnerable.
- If fighting in a chasm, be wary of getting surrounded, which can lead to death very quickly, especially in Expert or Master Mode. A quick way to escape is to have a Bed to teleport to (using Recall Potions, Magic or Ice Mirror) above the battle area.
- It may be preferable to hollow out an area in the Corruption in advance, in order to avoid this situation.
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is particularly profitable, being one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode.
- Since each segment can drop loot when killed, it can be a good source of Presents during Christmas, and Goodie Bags, Bloody Machetes and Bladed Gloves during Halloween.
- In Hardmode, it can provide other items as well:
- The Eater of Worlds will start to flee underground if the player leaves the Corruption biome, but will not immediately despawn. Players can utilize this mechanic to keep the Eater of Worlds away from themselves without despawning it by moving in and out of the Corruption, watching for the boss's icon on the minimap to make sure it does not leave.
- Using a flail will block any Vile Spit from hitting the player when ⚒ Use / Attack is held down. Alternatively, a whip would also work for it can sweep a large area clean of vile spit in a single whip.
- The Eater of Worlds and Skeletron are the only bosses that do not have their own AI.
- Skeletron only shares its AI with the Dungeon Guardian.
- It might spawn outside of map boundaries on rare occasions when breaking Shadow Orbs, although the Eater of Worlds spawns in relation to the player, not the broken third orb.
- The Eater of Worlds is sometimes abbreviated as "EoW".
- It is immune to many debuffs, whereas its counterpart, the Brain of Cthulhu, is only immune to Confused.
- The Eater of Worlds has 331 / 356 eyes in total on the Desktop version, and 246 eyes on other versions.
- The Eater of Worlds will not despawn while in Crimson biome.
- – According to the official game lore, the Destroyer is a simulacrum of Cthulhu's spine. Despite the Destroyer taking heavy influence from it, the Eater of Worlds has no connection to Cthulhu and is not mentioned to be a former body part, unlike other pre-mech forms.
- The Bestiary entry for the Eater of Worlds: "Conceived from the bottomless malice of the Corruption, this mighty abyssal worm tunnels wildly to devour all in its path."
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Defeating the Eater of Worlds now allows Meteorites to fall rather than breaking a Shadow Orb, and defeating more Eater of Worlds will increase the chance of a Meteorite falling the following night.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Reduced damage of the Vile Spit attack.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Now has a chance of dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however, is bugged.
- Desktop 1.1.2:
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- No longer defeated when it flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- No longer drops Shadow armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Desktop 1.0.4:
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in the quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- Information taken from the Desktop 184.108.40.206 source code, method
. Note that the worm-type segment counts in the code are only for the body segments, and do not include the head or tail; hence 65/70 becomes 67/72 There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 220.127.116.11.
- Information taken from the Desktop 18.104.22.168 source code, method
, and method
. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 22.214.171.124.