It can be released as a critter, and will wander around like other critters. On death, it will explode, dealing damage but not destroying tiles. It will always be placed at the player's feet when released, instead of at the cursor like most other critters.
- Unlike other critters, the Guide To Critter Companionship does not render it immune to damage inflicted by the player.
- In the secret seed For the worthy, it will spawn naturally. Also, any Bunny (but not the Gold or Gem variants) released by players will become an Explosive Bunny instead.
- Its explosion damages NPCs.
- The enormous damage can be helpful for boss fights. Releasing several Explosive Bunnies into a small cage, luring the boss towards it, and killing the Bunnies is quite effective, although it may not work as well for very fast bosses.
- This is especially useful in Journey Mode, e.g. when speedrunning.
- When fired from the Bunny Cannon, the Explosive Bunny has the highest base damage of any weapon on the Desktop version, Console version, Old-gen console version, and Mobile version. It is beaten only by the -exclusive Holy Hand Grenade, which deals 600 damage.
- The Bestiary entry for the Explosive Bunny: "Not the typical garden-variety bunny. This one has been tampered with, and has an explosive temper as a result."
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Sprite updated.
- Can now be released as a critter, and will explode and deal damage upon death.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: No longer sold by the Pirate NPC, instead crafted.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Sprite updated to match Desktop 126.96.36.199. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Sprite updated to match Desktop 188.8.131.52. ()
- Console 1.06: No longer sold by the Pirate NPC, instead crafted.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Added changes from Desktop 18.104.22.168.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: No longer sold by the Pirate NPC, instead crafted.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.