Feral Bite is a debuff that may be inflicted when a player is hit by a bat (10% chance) or Duke Fishron (33% chance) in Expert Mode. It increases player damage by 20%, but lowers player health regeneration and may randomly inflict the Darkness, Cursed, Confused, Slow, Weak, or Silenced debuffs.
|Cave Bat||30-90 seconds|
|Jungle Bat||30-90 seconds|
|Giant Bat||30-90 seconds|
|Giant Flying Fox||30-90 seconds|
|Duke Fishron||3-10 seconds|
When the player is afflicted with Feral Bite, there is a 1/1200 chance per frame for one of six debuffs to inflict the player. When the game is running at the target 60 frames per second, the effective chance is 1/20 every second (approximately 1-20 seconds).
- While at the first look seeming like a rather weak debuff, the randomly occurring debuffs can cause major damage to a player. The Confused and Cursed debuffs can easily catch players on the wrong foot, especially when they are not aware of being under the influence of Feral Bite.
- Prior to the 184.108.40.206 update, the odds of getting debuffs was relatively low, however the chance of getting one and the time they last are now significantly increased. The exact value is unknown, but it is often a death sentence if one is mining near lava where the bats happen to spawn most often.
- Having an Ankh Charm or Ankh Shield does not eliminate the debuff itself, but will eliminate all the debuffs that it causes. (which technically makes this a pseudo buff like the Tipsy effect).
- Internally, Feral Bite is named "Rabies", a real disease which affects animals and humans.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now more likely to cause debuffs.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.