|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Throws a controllable flying knife|
- Flying Knife
The Flying Knife is a unique Hardmode melee weapon that has a
25*1/4 (25%) chance to be dropped by the Hallowed Mimic. It throws a reusable cursor-controllable projectile similar to the Magic Missile mechanic, though more erratic and with no mana cost. Like boomerangs, the projectile returns to the player.
Holding the ⚒ Use / Attack button after use directs the projectile's general path, although it also continuously moves on its own and ricochets off blocks. As such, it may require a little practice to be used properly. It returns to the player when the ⚒ Use / Attack button is released, or after one minute of continuous use. Being a melee weapon, it costs no mana or ammunition. The Flying Knife also emits a good deal of light during use, but it may be difficult to use considering its erratic movement. Like most piercing weapons, it is very effective against enemies with multiple segments.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount. However, the bonus knockback granted by the Godly modifier is not always beneficial and makes it tricky to damage the same targets. For example, the knife will not necessarily be knocking enemies away from the player. Alternatively, modifiers that reduce knockback (the best being Ruthless) can be beneficial, reducing the distance enemies are knocked away from the cursor.
- The Flying Knife has a tendency to fly through walls at times, usually when in small spaces.
- The long returning arc can be ignored if the player leave the cursor between the knife and a wall. The knife will try to follow the cursor and keep bouncing off the wall, granting a much higher DPS than it would in open space. This is extremely useful against The Destroyer.
- The Flying Knife can be useful for damaging both of The Twins at once; though this can cause them to go into their second phases both at the same time, which can be inconvenient.
- If the player is Stoned by Medusa and already has the Flying Knife thrown-out, it can still be controlled to kill the Medusa or other enemies that approach.
- If the player is using the auto-swing feature of the Feral Claws / !!Error: Invalid EICONS input! Titan Glove, they can use a Flying Knife and a yoyo at the same time increasing their DPS.
- Similarly, the Flying Knife can be used alongside certain bows, such as the Phantom Phoenix. This can be especially useful for a ranger, as it allows the benefits of flasks while still using a bow as a primary weapon.
- Due to the infinite flight nature of this throwing weapon, it can be used indefinitely even while sleeping in a Bed. This can be exploited to great effect in early Hardmode when defending against nocturnal enemies such as Werewolves that can open doors while still progressing time at 5 times its usual speed.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.