Forests comprise the majority of the surface world and are typically where the player initially spawns and will spend a majority of their time. The global landscape of a forest includes lots of grass, plenty of trees, several lakes ranging in size from small to large, occasional hills that can reveal cave entrances, and often contain a Living Wood Tree that sometimes has an underground room.
The Forest changes noticeably in the outer thirds of the world. Goblin Scouts, which are fairly uncommon and drop Tattered Cloth, begin to spawn. The King Slime boss also has a very rare chance to spawn and can easily surprise and overwhelm an unsuspecting player. Enchanted Sword Shrines , though they can be found in any biome with Dirt and Stone, are almost always found in the outer-thirds of the world in the Forest. Breaking the real sword has a 9/10 chance of dropping the Enchanted Sword and a 1 in 10 chance of dropping the Terragrim () / Arkhalis (), all very formidable early-game weapons.
Contents[edit | edit source]
- Red Squirrel
- Blue Jay
- Mallard Duck
- Julia Butterfly
- Monarch Butterfly
- Purple Emperor Butterfly
- Red Admiral Butterfly
- Sulphur Butterfly
- Tree Nymph Butterfly
- Ulysses Butterfly
- Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly
- Blue Dragonfly
- Green Dragonfly
- Red Dragonfly
Spawn Rates[edit | edit source]
- During the day:
- 100%/110% (Hardmode) spawning speed
- 5/6 (Hardmode) max spawns
- During the night:
- 166% spawning speed
- 6/7 (Hardmode) max spawns
- During a Blood Moon:
- 333% spawning speed
- 11/14 (Hardmode) max spawns
- Having town NPCs can lower spawn rates in this area. (except during a Blood Moon)
NPC happiness [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Generally, the Forest is the easiest Biome in the game as the enemies encountered here are easily defeated once some basic gear has been acquired. The player's first base is often built here, as building materials such as Clay, Stone, and Wood are found quickly, the spawn rates are generally low, and the initial spawn is usually within the Forest.
- There is a small chance for low tier ores to spawn on the surface in a forest. The various types of ores that can be found consist of Copper or Tin, Lead or Iron, and sometimes Silver or Tungsten. Pockets of Clay and Stone can also be found on the surface.
- Surface chests can be found scattered all over the Forest and include many exceptional starter items.
- In Hardmode, the biome receives a slight buff, with Pre-Hardmode enemies getting stat boosts along with new enemies spawning at night.
- Sakura and Yellow Willow trees have a 1 in 20 (5%) chance of replacing a regular Forest tree on world generation.
- Fallen Logs can be found in the Forest, where Fairies spawn at night. When broken by an Axe they will drop some Wood, and breaking all of them will permanently stop surface Fairies from spawning (although they can still be obtained in Item form from shaking trees).
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Regular Forests can be erased by the spread of Corruption, Crimson, and The Hallow. Converted forests can be restored to their pure form by using Purification Powder purchased from the Dryad or its stronger, Hardmode equivalent, the Clentaminator with Green Solution purchased from the Steampunker.
- Enchanted Sword Shrines can be easily found as their 1-block wide shafts usually reach up to the surface, and the player can easily mine down to get to the actual shrine, in which case they'll have a 100% () / 1 in 3 () chance of containing a real sword.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of 126.96.36.199, the forest has the most of music tracks, having five including those from Terraria: Otherworld.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Backgrounds[edit | edit source]
This content is transcluded from Biome backgrounds § Forest.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Added new backgrounds.
- Some pre-existing backgrounds are updated and others now animated.
- Added new background scenery, including a blimp, flock of birds, hot air balloon, Wyvern, and the Eye of Cthulhu.
- Added new music, including the Storm and Windy Day music, which play during those respective events in the Forest. Also added Otherworldly Overworld Day and Night Tracks, originally from Terraria: Otherworld, which plays once the player has entered the 05162020 seed and pressed the "Music" option in the Party Girl's menu.
- Added Torch Zombies, which spawn in the Forest at night and drop Torches.
- Angry Dandelions now spawn in the Forest during the Windy Day event.
- Enchanted Sword Shrines, which usually spawn in the Forest, no longer spawn in every world. However, when they do, they have a 100% chance of having a real sword. Breaking the real sword now has a 1 in 10 chance of dropping the Terragrim instead of the Arkhalis.
- Added Fallen Logs.
- Forest Pylons will now be sold by any happy NPC in the Forest biome for 7 50 to 8 50. While any number of pylons can be placed in a Forest biome, only one Forest Pylon can be functionally used per world.
- Ladybugs now spawn during a Windy Day, which increase the player's luck when nearby. Its gold counterpart, the Gold Ladybug, also has a very rare chance to spawn.
- Living Trees now spawn in clusters, are connected underground, always have an underground room, with rounder and larger tops.
- Living Wood Chests, which typically spawn in Living Trees on the Forest Surface, now have a chance of including the Finch Staff, Ladybug Minecart, and the Sunflower Minecart.
- Shaking trees in the forest has a chance to drop either Acorns, an Apple, an Apricot, Coins, Eucalyptus Sap, a Grapefruit, a Lemon, a Peach, or Wood. Birds or Squirrels, or sometimes their gold counterparts, may also fall or fly out of the tree.
- Slimes spawning in the Forest during a Windy Day now have a chance to be attached to a Windy Balloon and have the chance to drop a variety of Kites.
- Surface chests now include Can of Worms, Step Stool, Sunflower Minecart, and Wood.
- Sakura and Yellow Willow trees now have a 1 in 20 (5%) chance of replacing normal Forest trees during world generation.
- The Golfer, Guide, Merchant, and Zoologist NPCs now like living in the Forest, while the Dye Trader and Painter dislike it.
- Added new backgrounds.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Added armed Zombies which are more powerful and spawn in the Forest at night in Expert Mode.
- Enchanted Sword Shrines have a chance to spawn in the other thirds of the world with a 1-block wide shaft going up to the Surface, revealing the Enchanted Sword Shrine underground that has a 1 in 3 chance of having a real sword, and breaking the real sword has a 9 in 10 chance of dropping an Enchanted Sword and 1 in 10 chance of dropping an Arkhalis.
- Gold Critters now have a very rare chance to spawn in the Forest.
- Pinky now drops Pink Gel.
- Red Squirrels now spawn regularly alongside normal Squirrels.
- Surface chests now include Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage, Herb Bags, Radar, and Wand of Sparking.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Grasshoppers now spawn in the Forest when destroying grass.
- Multiple Angler quest fish can now be caught in the Forest (only when the Angler asks for them), including Bunnyfish, Cap'n Tunabeard, Dirtfish, Dynamite Fish, Fallen Starfish, the Fish of Cthulhu, Harpyfish, Slimefish, Wyverntail, and Zombie Fish.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2.2:
- Christmas Zombies, including Santa and Sweater Zombies, now spawn in the Forest at night during Christmas.
- Desktop 1.2.1:
- Costumed Demon Eyes and Zombies, including Nurse, Pixie, and Superhero Zombies and Owl and Spaceship Demon Eyes, now spawn in the Forest at night during Halloween.
- Hay now drops when cutting grass with a Sickle.
- Hoppin' Jack and Ravens now spawn in the Forest at night during Halloween.
- Pumpkins now grow naturally in the Forest during Halloween.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Blue Berries and Yellow Marigolds can now grow in the Forest.
- Living Trees now spawn occasionally on the Forest surface and have a chance of having an Underground room with a chest including a Leaf Wand, Living Wood Wand, and/or a Living Loom.
- Multiple new Demon Eye and Zombie variants can now spawn in the Forest at night.
- Multiple variations now exist. Trees and background can vary from instance to instance, even in the same world.
- Surface chests now include Climbing Claws, Rope, and the Umbrella. They also now include Tin Bars and Lead Bars as opposed to Copper Bars and Iron Bars respectively in worlds which have those ores.
- The new Painter NPC now sells the Through the Window painting when in the Forest.
- Wraiths now have a 1% (1 in 100) chance of dropping the Fast Clock.
- Zombies now have a 0.4% (1 in 250) chance of dropping the Zombie Arm.
- Desktop 1.1:
- 4 new Hardmode enemies now spawn in the Forest at Night: Possessed Armors, Wandering Eyes, Wraiths, and Werewolves, the latter of which only spawns during Full Moons and have a 1.67% (1 in 60) chance of dropping the Moon Charm.
- Bald Zombies now spawn at night alongside normal Zombies.
- Birds now spawn regularly in the Forest.
- Now has own specific background.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Goblin Scouts, which drop Tattered Cloth, now have a rare chance of spawning in the Forest on the outer thirds of the map.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Daybloom now grows on the Forest surface.
- Seeds now drop when cutting grass if the player has a Blowpipe in their inventory.
- Wooden Chests now spawn in the Forest with items including Bottles, Copper and Iron Bars, Shurikens, Silver Coins, Grenades, Torches, and Wooden Arrows. Surface chests also include the new Aglet, Blowpipe, Glowsticks, potions, Spear, Throwing Knives, and Wooden Boomerang.
- Desktop 1.0.4:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Added content and changes from Desktop up to 18.104.22.168.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Added content and changes from Desktop up to 126.96.36.199.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added content and changes from Desktop up to 188.8.131.52.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Added content and changes from Desktop up to 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Added content from Desktop up to 1.1.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.