Terraria Wiki

Miss the old Hydra Skin? Try out our Hydralize gadget! Visit the preferences page while logged in and turn on the gadget.


Terraria Wiki
Terraria Wiki

Forests are a biome that comprise the majority of the surface world and are typically where the player initially spawns and will spend a majority of their time. The global landscape of a forest includes lots of grass, plenty of trees, several lakes ranging in size from small to large, occasional hills that can reveal cave entrances, and often contain a Living Wood Tree that sometimes has an underground room.

The Forest changes noticeably in the outer thirds of the world. Goblin Scouts, which are fairly uncommon and drop Tattered Cloth, begin to spawn. The King Slime boss also has a very rare chance to spawn and can easily surprise and overwhelm an unsuspecting player. Enchanted Sword Shrines , though they can be found in any biome with Dirt and Stone, are almost always found in the outer-thirds of the world in the Forest. Breaking the real sword has a 90*9/10 (90%) chance of dropping the Enchanted Sword and a 10*1/10 (10%) chance of dropping the Terragrim () / Arkhalis (), all very formidable early-game weapons.

Forest Grass logo displayed on the Official Terraria Forums (Overworld style)


During the day:
During the night:
On the outer thirds of the world:
Unique Drops
From Slimes:
From Werewolves (Hardmode):
From Wraiths (Hardmode):
From shaking trees:
For Sale
Any Happy NPC Shop:

NPC happiness []

Loved byn/a
Disliked by
Hated byn/a

For more information, see NPC happiness.


  • Generally, the Forest is the easiest Biome in the game as the enemies encountered here are easily defeated once some basic gear has been acquired. The player's first base is often built here, as building materials such as Clay, Stone, and Wood are found quickly, the spawn rates are generally low, and the initial spawn is usually within the Forest.
  • There is a small chance for low tier ores to spawn on the surface in a forest. The various types of ores that can be found consist of Copper or Tin, Lead or Iron, and sometimes Silver or Tungsten. Pockets of Clay and Stone can also be found on the surface.
  • Surface chests can be found scattered all over the Forest and include many exceptional starter items.
  • In Hardmode, the biome receives a slight buff, with Pre-Hardmode enemies getting stat boosts along with new enemies spawning at night.
  • Sakura and Yellow Willow trees have a 5*1/20 (5%) chance of replacing a regular Forest tree on world generation.
  • Fallen Logs can be found in the Forest, where Fairies spawn at night. When broken by an Axe they will drop some Wood, and breaking all of them will permanently stop surface Fairies from spawning (although they can still be obtained in Item form from shaking trees).


  • Regular Forests can be erased by the spread of Corruption, Crimson, and The Hallow. Converted forests can be restored to their pure form by using Purification Powder purchased from the Dryad or its stronger Hardmode equivalent, the Clentaminator, with Green Solution purchased from the Steampunker.
  • Enchanted Sword Shrines can be easily found as their 1-block wide shafts usually reach up to the surface, and the player can easily mine down to get to the actual shrine, in which case they'll have a 100% () / 33.33*1/3 (33.33%) () chance of containing a real sword.


  • As of, the forest has the most of music tracks, having five including those from Terraria: Otherworld.
  • The Forest is the most popular biome for NPC housing.
    • Only two NPCs dislike it and 4 NPCs like it. In pure numbers this is better than every other biome. The Hallow is the only biome that comes close to this number.
    • The amount of money saved by putting all your NPCs in the Forest (ignoring other NPC preferences) is around 5% relative to that of the Snow, which has qualitative advantages in NPC happiness over the Forest.



This content is transcluded from Biome backgrounds § Forest.


  • Desktop 1.2.4:
    • Grasshoppers now spawn in the Forest when destroying grass.
    • Multiple Angler quest fish can now be caught in the Forest (only when the Angler asks for them), including Bunnyfish, Cap'n Tunabeard, Dirtfish, Dynamite Fish, Fallen Starfish, the Fish of Cthulhu, Harpyfish, Slimefish, Wyverntail, and Zombie Fish.
  • Desktop 1.2.2:
    • Christmas Zombies, including Santa and Sweater Zombies, now spawn in the Forest at night during Christmas.