Fossil armor is a pre-Hardmode armor set consisting of the Fossil Helmet, Fossil Plate, and Fossil Greaves. It has notably less defense than most other similarly available armor sets, providing a total of 13 defense.
On the Desktop version and Mobile version, the Helmet and Greaves increase ranged critical strike chance by 4% per each, with the Plate increasing ranged damage by 5%, and wearing the full set grants a 20% chance to not consume ammo, making Fossil armor great for using the Minishark as well as other early-game guns such as the Flintlock Pistol or The Undertaker, and also bows.
On the Console version, Fossil armor instead greatly increases the velocity, damage, and critical strike chance of throwing weapons, and wearing the full set grants a 50% chance to not consume thrown items (not including explosives), making Fossil armor great for using Bone Javelins, Bone Throwing Knives, and other throwing weapons.
- The 3% boost to ranged critical strike chance on each piece is actually the same as the Ninja Armor's individual armor pieces. The Ninja set has 1 extra defense and boosts the crit chance of all damage types, not just Ranged. If ammo consumption isn't an issue, the set bonus of increased movement speed could be more useful as well.
- In the early-access release of Terraria 1.3, the armor's set bonus was 75% chance to not consume thrown items. It was reduced to 50% before the public release.
- This is the only pre-Hardmode armor set in which the helmet sells for less than the rest of the pieces.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Increased defense from 2 to 4 and Ranged critical chance from 3% to 4% on Helmet and Greaves.
- Increased defense from 4 to 5 and replaced the 3% Ranged critical bonus with a 5% Ranged damage bonus on the Plate.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Fossil Helmet's defense decreased from 3 to 2.
- Fossil Plate's defense decreased from 6 to 4.
- Fossil Greaves' defense decreased from 4 to 2.
- Each piece of the set now gives a 3% ranged critical chance instead of 20% increased throwing velocity (Fossil Helmet), 15% increased throwing critical strike chance (Fossil Plate), and 20% increased throwing damage (Fossil Greaves).
- Changed set bonus from 50% chance to not consume thrown item to 20% chance not to consume ammo.
- Now available earlier due to the change to Desert Fossil mining.
- Now needs 5 fewer Sturdy Fossils per piece.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.