|AI Type||Hovering AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 122
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Gastropods will enter water to chase the player, and can continue flying and firing while submerged, unlike many other flying enemies.
- Gastropod lasers will keep traveling as long as they are in sight.
- Striking the Gastropod while it is preparing its laser will interrupt the attack and prevent it from firing.
- Gastropods do not look like Slimes, despite technically being considered slimes.
- While they are considered slimes, they do not drop the Slime Staff.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like all slimes, Gastropods become harmless when the Royal Gel is equipped.
- Once acquired, it can provide an easy and safe way to farm for the Blessed Apple, as Gastropods will not attack the player and can be attacked freely once the accessory is equipped.
- Newer Hardmode players may want to avoid the Hallow's surface at night entirely, as Gastropods fire frequently, spawn often, and their lasers are difficult to dodge – especially when more than one Gastropod is on the screen (and there usually are). In Expert mode, the Hallow is less dangerous at night as players can equip Royal Gel.
- Gastropods drop much more Gel than any other non-boss slime, making them useful for gathering Flamethrower ammo. Using the Flamethrower to kill Gastropods is fast and will yield more Gel than the weapon consumes.
- The Bee Gun and similar weapons are effective at preventing Gastropods from firing, as its bees can attack continuously, leaving no pause for Gastropods to fire.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Real-life gastropoda are a class of mollusk that includes snails and slugs.
- Sometimes Gastropods can be seen flying in the Hallow background at night as ambience.
- The Bestiary entry for the Gastropod: "Touched by the blessing, these nocturnal slimes evolved into a levitating snail-like creature which spits powerful beams of light."
- This entry explains that the Gastropods are Hallow-enhanced nocturnal slimes, though it is not clear what connection these have with real-life gastropods. Two possible reasons are that both have very soft and jelly-like bodies, and that both are said to leave behind a trail of ooze-like substances as they move.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Sprite of ambience Gastropod from Desktop and Mobile.|
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: Removed Spectral Gastropod.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.