|AI Type||Fighter AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 624
The Gnome is an enemy that spawns in the surface layer underground. When a Gnome is not behind a wall on the surface during the day it will turn into a Garden Gnome that increases the Luck stat by 0.2 points whenever a player is within a range similar to banners or campfires.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
- Gnomes spawn in front of natural Dirt Walls near the Underground layer and in front of natural Living Tree walls at any height, or rarely at night or in front of any wall when the player is currently in front of a natural Living Tree wall. Spawn rates are significantly higher in front of Living Tree walls.
- Spawn chances are reduced by 25% for each Gnome currently alive in the world, with spawns becoming impossible with four Gnomes alive. This reduction does not apply to spawns in Living Trees.
- Gnomes emit white, glittering particles when the conditions are met for them to transform into a Garden Gnome, but only when there is an unobstructed block for them to do so. Gnomes will break grass and ambient objects upon transforming into Garden Gnomes, but are unable to break placed furniture items.
- Gnomes will not spawn during a Blood Moon or a Solar Eclipse except in Living Trees. However, Gnomes will still turn into Garden Gnomes as normal during a Solar Eclipse.
- Gnomes can be commonly found within the root networks of Living Trees. It can be difficult to lure them out from these networks though, especially early game as their strong knockback can prevent the player from climbing out of the Living Tree Roots to escape into the sunlight. A Cobalt Shield or upgrade will help with that.
- Gnomes turning into Garden Gnomes counts as the player killing them and will grant Banners.
- In Expert Mode and Master Mode, any coins that Gnomes pick up will be permanently lost when they transform into Garden Gnomes.
- Gnomes have neither drops nor coins. Luring them to the surface during the day to turn them into garden gnomes, is the only useful thing to do with them.
- It will usually be necessary to dismiss any minions, as these can quickly kill any gnome within range.
- Lava or traps can be used to kill other creatures in nearby areas, to reduce spawn competition. Of course, the traps need to be well away of where they might kill the gnomes!
- The player can use a Rifle Scope, a Sniper Rifle, or Binoculars to help locate them.
- Gnomes spawn in front of naturally generated walls. Digging tunnels will increase the likelihood of them appearing. The Living Tree interior can also be expanded to expose more of the Living Tree Walls.
- Gnomes can spawn directly on the surface, if there are natural walls present (usually from a player digging down). They will transform the moment they leave the wall they spawned behind, during the day.
- Remove nearby sunflowers, as these reduce enemy spawns.
- A Battle Potion and Water Candle can be used to maximize the spawn rate.
- Since gnomes count as "rare spawns", the player will have more chances to see them if they increase their luck. This includes placing the first garden gnome in or near the Living Tree, to attract more gnomes.
- Gnomes don't move (or run away) if the player is too far away, so it is crucial to stay close enough to bait them into sunlight.
- Gnomes can jump 6 tiles high. Spacing rows of platforms (or making staircases) can help them follow the player up to the surface with its deadly sunlight.
- Multiple gnomes are prone to merging into a single apparent figure, e.g. if they happen to gather against a wall. Once they are standing in the same place, the gnomes will move together without separating, but once they get into sunlight they will transform separately, usually producing multiple stauettes placed in a row.
- The Bestiary entry for the Gnome: "A tiny long-bearded sneak who resides in oversized trees. Becomes a lawn ornament when exposed to sunlight."
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 184.108.40.206.4.1: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.