Gravity applies a constant downwards force to the player, affecting vertical speed and how quickly the maximum falling speed is reached. By default, gravity decreases speed by a rate of 1.5 tiles/sVerify, up to a maximum falling speed of 37.5 tiles/s. Certain sources may add modifiers to both gravity and the maximum falling speed to improve or worsen their effects.
|Water / Lava||50% default max fall speed and 20% default gravity.|
|Honey||30% default max fall speed and 25% default gravity.|
|Slimy Saddle||200% default max fall speed.|
|Trident(in water)||60% default max fall speed and 62.5% default gravity (20% and 25% while holding ▲ Up).|
Effects are exclusive to Desktop and Mobile.
|Merfolk(in water)||70% default max fall speed and 75% default gravity.|
|Featherfall||33% (1/3) of current gravity and max fall speed (10% while holding ▲ Up).|
No effects while holding ▼ Down.
|Space||Gradual decrease in gravity the closer the player is to the upper map limit, down to 25% default gravity.|
|Portal Gun||350% default max fall speed.|
The player's gravity can be reversed by using a Gravitation Potion or Gravity Globe . When used, they allow the holder to flip gravity, so that the player falls up instead of down, and toggle gravity back to normal afterward. Once used, pressing the ▲ Up key toggles the gravity direction. This only affects the player with the item used. Other notable observations include:
- Hitting the upper limit of the map while gravity is reversed will cause gravity to revert to normal. This will not reset the flight timer.
- The Wisp in a Bottle, as well as its controls, remain upside down in reversed gravity.
- Fishing is possible in reverse gravity; the fishing bobber will fall "upward" into the water.
- In the Old-gen console version, there is the option to turn off "World Flips Upside Down", making it so only the player flips.
Being in reversed gravity may also apply certain restrictions:
- Mounts cannot be summoned.
- Most platforms will not stop players falling upwards, and they will instead fall through them. Hammering a platform three times will allow the player to "land" on it upside down, but this usually does not reset the flight time.
- Golf cannot be done on reverse gravity; the player will not even be able to swing the club.
- The Gravity Globe does not change gravity while grappled, even if gravity is already flipped.