Guide:Crafting a Cell Phone
The Cell Phone, like other notable compound items (such as the Ankh Shield and Terra Blade), is an extremely powerful and helpful item to have on hand. Like a real-life cell phone, it can tell you the weather, the time, and where you are, among other things. Its usefulness however comes with a cost: its construction is highly time-consuming and some components are extremely difficult to find. This page will guide you on how to craft this item.
- 1 Basic diagram
- 2 Items needed
- 3 Farming and Tips on getting the Cellphone
- 4 Notes On Crafting The Cell Phone
|Platinum Bar × 10||Chain||Gold Bar × 10|
|Platinum Watch||or||Gold Watch||Tally Counter|
Also craftable in )
Also dropped by in )
|GPS||R.E.K. 3000||Goblin Tech||Fish Finder|
Magic Mirror or Ice Mirror
- Magic Mirror: An extremely easy item to obtain, as it simply requires finding an Underground Cabin with a chest.
- Ice Mirror: Found under mainly the same conditions, except as secondary loot in Ice Chests.
- Gold or Platinum Watch: Six varieties of watches can be crafted with any of the early pre-biome ores. To craft the GPS, you will need to obtain one of the highest-quality watches, which display the time to the nearest real-life second or in-game minute, as opposed to every minute or half minute. In order to craft the required watch, you must acquire 40 of either Gold Ore or Platinum Ore (only one type, as they cannot be mixed), and 3 of either Iron Ore or Lead Ore. Melt all of these into bars. Use the iron or lead to create a chain, and then go to a table and chair and assemble a Gold Watch or Platinum Watch.
- Depth Meter: This is dropped by Cave Bats, Ice Bats and Jungle Bats. A Bat Statue can be used to easily obtain one.
- Compass: The compass can be obtained upon the death of certain monsters; Mother Slime, Piranha, Snow Flinx, Undead Viking, and Armored Viking.
Fish Finder components
All ingredients are obtained from the Angler. You will initially have a 1 in 30 in Desktop version and Mobile version (1 in 40 in Console and Mobile) chance of obtaining each of these items upon completing one of the Angler's quests, although the chance will go up as you complete more quests.
R.E.K. 3000 components
- Radar: This can be found in Wooden chests, making it easy to find early on. It can also be obtained from Wooden Crates and Pearlwood Crates, although this may take more time.
- Lifeform Analyzer: Sometimes sold by Traveling Merchant.
- Tally Counter: Dropped by pre-hardmode Dungeon enemies (excluding Dungeon Slimes and trap-like enemies).
Goblin Tech components
- DPS Meter: Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant
- Stopwatch: Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant (he may sell both at once)
- Metal Detector: Dropped by the rare Nymph. A Lifeform Analyzer and Hunter Potions can be used to track down one. It will only have a 50% chance of dropping (100% in Expert mode).
Craft the PDA
- Note that the PDA can be used separate from the Magic/Ice Mirror. However, crafting the Cell Phone will help you in many cases.
Craft the Cell Phone
- Note that this is no longer an accessory and as such cannot be equipped nor receive modifiers.
Farming and Tips on getting the Cellphone
To obtain these items, it may help to farm them. A lot of pre-1.3 built farms may be unexpectedly useful in gathering ingredients. Battle Potions and Water Candles may be helpful with increasing spawn rates. Make sure you have spare money to buy items from the Traveling Merchant. If you're in Hardmode and haven't made the Cell Phone yet, an Enchanted Sundial can give you an occasional extra chance for the Traveling Merchant to stock a needed item.
- Enchanted Sundials increase the chances of helping you get certain items.
- Use Potions if you have trouble getting things.
- Do loads of Fishing. Fishing will give you fish to craft Potions that can help you, and you will have a chance to catch quest fish.
- Defeat the pre-hardmode bosses excluding Wall of Flesh. Many items are unobtainable without defeating these bosses.
- Going caving a lot helps get many of the items needed, as many of the items are obtained from underground enemies.
- Don't be afraid to open up new worlds if your world is pre-1.3 and you're having little luck with items.
- Farming can be as labourious as finding the items using luck. It's up to you whether you go the strategy or luck route.
- Watch: The watch does not need farming, as it's easily craftable. You could use Spelunker Potions to help find the needed ore, or get the needed metal bars from fished Crates. The Extractinator might also be useful in getting the needed ores/bars.
- Compass: You may use Piranha Statues, as they work well to farm Piranhas, who, in the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, have a 2% chance of dropping a Compass.
- Depth Meter: Bat Statues are useful for farming Bats. Bats have a 1% chance of dropping a Depth Meter.
- Do fish quests for the Angler every day, as the Fish Finder can be acquired randomly by completing quests for the Angler. The quests from the Angler reset at 4:30 a.m. The Enchanted Sundial can occasionally speed you to the next quest.
- There is no realistic way to farm the Fish Finder aside from getting loads of Quest Fish and offering them to the Angler when he asks for one.
- Tally Counter: Enter a pre-Hardmode Dungeon with decent weapons, and start hunting. With enough kills, you will eventually get your Tally Counter.
- Radar: If no surface chests are found with this, or your world was generated before 1.3, you can find it in Wooden Crates. Use Fishing Potions, Crate Potions, and Sonar Potions to increase your chances. You can also create a new 1.3 world(s) and use them to packmule 1.3 items including the Radar.
- Lifeform Analyzer: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
- Stopwatch: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
- DPS Meter: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
- Metal Detector: Create a long tunnel in an Ice biome. Use Water Candles and Battle Potions to increase spawns. Run from end to end of the tunnel until a Lost Girl/Nymph spawns. A Lifeform Analyzer can also be used to find them more easily.
- Don't defeat the Wall of Flesh without obtaining a Metal Dectector. Lost Girls/Nymphs will be harder to find in Hardmode.
- Farm the Nymph in Expert Mode, as it will drop the Metal Detector no matter what(unless some glitch happens)
Notes On Crafting The Cell Phone
- The Fish Finder for many is the hardest item to get, as there is only one way to get each item, and not many farming techniques. As well, the quest fish can be a pain to catch.
- The GPS is the easiest item to get, and can be obtained before the Eye of Cuthulu is fought.
- The Cell Phone is a great tool which will help clear room in your equippable items placeholder.
- However, using the PDA and Magic Mirror/Ice mirror separately is still a viable option
- The Cell Phone is one of the most pain-staking items to get, and can be a subject for Terraria Challenge videos.
- This is based on item getting. If based on rarity, the Terra Blade and Zenith are tied for this, due to the painstaking process of getting Broken Hero Swords and the Nights Edge.