The Jungle Temple, also known as the Lihzahrd Temple, is a big structure that is located in the Underground Jungle, with no surface entrance. It can only be accessed after defeating Plantera in the hardmode Underground Jungle, and exploring it is mandatory to progress to the Lunar Events.
The place is usually explored to obtain the materials needed for Solar Tablets, and to obtain the drops from the boss of the area, the Golem. Even with post-Plantera gear, surviving in the place can be challenging, due to the very strong enemies and the considerably high amount of traps.
- For all classes (except Summoner), Hallowed or Chlorophyte is the minimum.
- Chlorophyte armor is the best for Melee players. Turtle armor has more defense, but smaller offensive bonuses.
- Shroomite armor is the best choice for Ranged users.
- Spectre armor is the strongest armor available for Mage characters.
- Tiki armor is the best for summoners.
For Melee users:
- Terra Blade or Seedler are the best Swords available.
- The Eye of Cthulhu is the strongest Yoyo.
- Vampire Knives are a good choice because of their high DPS and lifesteal.
- Paladin's Hammer is a strong weapon, especially against crowds.
- Using a Death Sickle is recommended due to it being able to shoot through walls.
- The Scourge of the Corruptor is useful due to the tiny eaters being able to chase enemies.
- Shadowflame Knife and Light Discs are still decent weapons.
- If used correctly, the Fetid Baghnakhs can deal an extreme amount of damage to all enemies.
For Ranged users:
- The Megashark or Sniper Rifle with Crystal Bullets are two of the best guns available.
- The Tactical Shotgun with Chlorophyte Bullets is also a solid choice.
- Chlorophyte Shotbow with Holy Arrows or Pulse Bow with Venom Arrows are the strongest bows available.
- The Dart Rifle or Pistol with Cursed Darts or Crystal Darts are good for crowds.
- The Nail Gun is decent as well.
For Magic users:
- The Inferno Fork is good for both crowds and single targets.
- The Magnet Sphere and Rainbow Gun are solid secondary weapons to use.
- The Sky Fracture and Crystal Serpent are still solid weapons.
- The Shadowbeam Staff and Magical Harp make full use of their bouncing, piercing projectiles due to the enclosed nature of the Temple.
- Using a Nimbus Rod to cover a vertical drop from layer to layer allows for a good crowd control of enemies.
- The Golden Shower is always a good weapon.
- Optic Staff and Deadly Sphere Staff are the best for crowd control, while Pygmy Staff is better for single targets.
- The Staff of the Frost Hydra or any of the Tavernkeep's Sentries are also good to have.
- Wings are almost mandatory at this point.
- Mobility accessories such as the Shield of Cthulhu or Tabi are always good.
- A damage increasing accessory, such as any of the Emblems or Mechanical Glove are very good as well.
- Magic Cuffs or greater are pretty good for quickly regaining mana as a mage.
- Charm of Myths allows a more frequent use of Healing Potions.
- Hunter Potion is useful for detecting enemies in the next room or layers.
- A Dangersense Potion is extremely useful as it will highlight the traps all over the temple.
- The Grand Design highlights wires regardless of being held or not, and is highly recommended for traversing the temple.
- A Grappling Hook is useful to stand out of the Lihzahrds' reach.
- It's also good to use the bonuses of a Sharpening Station, Ammo Box, Crystal Ball or Bewitching Table, depending on class.
There are two main enemies in the Jungle Temple:
- Lihzahrds have two forms: they'll first walk on two legs, and then when they get to half Health, they'll become quadrupeds, becoming much faster and immune to knockback. Lihzahrds do about 40 (80) damage in their first form, and about 60 (120) in their second.
- Flying Snakes possess the ability to fly and do considerably higher damage, however they are significantly more vulnerable to knockback and have less health.
The enemies are not the only threat found, the Jungle Temple is notorious for its large amount of Traps, such as:
- Super Dart Traps, which will launch high-speed poisonous darts;
- Flame Traps, which will deal very large amounts of damage with a short range;
- Spiky Ball Traps, which drops spiky balls that bounce and linger around for a long time;
- Spear Traps, that jab you from above with high-speed spears;
- Wooden Spikes, which will deal damage to you when touched.
One should move slowly and carefully, and pay attention to the floor. If you can't seem to spot pressure plates very well, you can stick to traversing across the ceiling or you can hold Wire Cutter to enable you to see the wires leading to some of the traps. Cutting them will disable the traps and allow you to pass safely. Additionally, traps can also be mined with a Pickaxe. Explosives can also be used to easily remove Wooden Spikes.
At the end of the Temple lies a wide, expansive area where a single Lihzahrd Altar can be found. The Lihzahrd Power Cells found in chests and dropped by local enemies can be used to activate it and summon the boss of the area, the Golem.