|Damage||80 / 55 (Magic)|
|Knockback||3 (Very weak)|
|Use time||10 (Very fast) / |
16 (Very fast)
|Tooltip||Shoots a scorching ray of heat|
- Heat Ray
The Heat Ray is a Hardmode, post-Golem magic weapon that has a
14.29*1/7 (14.29%) / 12.5*1/8 (12.5%) chance to be dropped by Golem. It auto-fires beams which provide significant illumination and instantaneously strike their targets.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
- The Heat Ray can be considered a direct upgrade to the Laser Rifle, as it has better damage, piercing, and precision.
- When wielding the Heat Ray, two fuel tanks will appear on the player's back, overriding the display of wings when not in flight. However, the display of the Hoverboard overrides the tanks.
- The instantaneous speed and perfect accuracy of the Heat Ray's beam makes it particularly effective for dealing with fast, distant, or flying enemies.
- The Heat Ray excels at outputting high damage to single targets, and, despite its lack of homing abilities, is a great weapon for dynamic and fast-moving bosses such as the Empress of Light.
- While its quick fire rate also makes it a viable weapon for crowd control, the Staff of Earth (another Golem drop) is better suited for such a purpose.
- This weapon and its tooltip are references to the 1898 science fiction novel The War of the Worlds by English author H. G. Wells. In the novel, Martians fire "Heat-Rays" and exultantly cry "Aloo!" or "Oolaa" in the later stage adaptions while waging war in their giant death machines.
- Even when the player is out of mana, the tank on the back of the player appears to still be full of liquid.
- This weapon is one of the few "laser weapons" that actually fires a laser. The ray travels in a straight line, hits instantaneously and a laser of its power would be very hot.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Damage increased from 55 to 80.
- Use time decreased from 16 to 10.
- Can no longer pierce and hit multiple enemies.
- Sprite updated.
- Drop rate increased from
12.5*1/8 (12.5%) to 14.29*1/7 (14.29%), due to the Picksaw now dropping separately.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.