|Damage||80 / 55 (Magic)|
|Knockback||3 (Very weak)|
|Use time||10 (Very fast) / |
16 (Very fast)
|Tooltip||Shoots a scorching ray of heat|
- Heat Ray
The Heat Ray is a Hardmode, post-Golem magic weapon that has a
14.29*1/7 (14.29%) / 12.5*1/8 (12.5%) chance to be dropped by Golem. It auto-fires beams which provide significant illumination and instantaneously strike their targets.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, its beams do not pierce enemies, whereas on the Old-gen console version, version, Switch version, and tModLoader version, its beams can pierce an infinite number of enemies.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
- The Heat Ray can be considered a direct upgrade to the Laser Rifle, as it has better damage, piercing, and precision.
- When wielding the Heat Ray, two fuel tanks will appear on the player's back.
- The instantaneous speed and perfect accuracy of the Heat Ray's beam makes it particularly effective for dealing with fast, distant, or flying enemies.
- The Heat Ray excels at outputting high damage to single targets, and, despite its lack of homing abilities, is a great weapon for dynamic and fast-moving bosses such as the Empress of Light.
- While its quick fire rate also makes it a viable weapon for crowd control, the Staff of Earth (another Golem drop) is better suited for such a purpose.
- This weapon and its tooltip are references to the 1898 science fiction novel The War of the Worlds by English author H. G. Wells. In the novel, Martians fire "Heat-Rays" and exultantly cry "Aloo!" or "Oolaa" in the later stage adaptions while waging war in their giant death machines.
- Even when the player is out of mana, the tank on the back of the player appears to still be full of liquid.
- This weapon is one of the few "laser weapons" that actually fires a laser. The ray travels in a straight line, hits instantaneously, and a laser of its power would be very hot.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Damage increased from 55 to 80.
- Use time decreased from 16 to 10.
- Can no longer pierce and hit multiple enemies.
- Sprite updated.
- Drop rate increased from
12.5*1/8 (12.5%) to 14.29*1/7 (14.29%), due to the Picksaw now dropping separately.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.