|AI Type||Attacker AI|
80120180 (Blood Shot) 
|Banner||Hemogoblin Shark Banner|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Chum Bucket (7-10)50%
- Internal NPC ID: 620
The Hemogoblin Shark is a Hardmode enemy that can be spawned by fishing during a Blood Moon event. When the bobber dips and the player attempts to reel in a fish, a Hemogoblin Shark, among other enemies, has a chance to spawn within a few blocks of the bobber in place of a fish. The Hemogoblin Shark can move extraordinarily fast on land, swim quickly in water, jump very high, and can fire a barrage of Blood Shot projectiles.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Hemogoblin Shark is immune to lava and is unimpeded by liquids. It is not, however, immune to the On Fire! debuff from non-lava sources.
- It can run at just enough speed to outrun even players with Terraspark Boots on ground.
- The Sonar Potion will detect if a Blood Moon enemy is about to be hooked (it will display enemies in red text).
- Using the Chum Caster will greatly increase the chances of hooking Blood Moon enemies.
- The Hemogoblin Shark will not fire Blood Shots while submerged in liquids.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Building a platform high above the player's fishing spot allows them to dodge the Hemogoblin Shark's lunging attacks, though it can still hit the player with its Blood Shot attack.
- Keeping the Hemogoblin Shark underwater will prevent it from firing Blood Shots.
- The Flying Knife is an effective weapon if the Hemogoblin Shark gets stuck in a crevice.
- The Hemogoblin Shark cannot enter doors, being 4 tiles tall. However it will still keep trying to enter, getting stuck at the doorway, allowing for an easy kill.
- Trapping either the Hemogoblin Shark or yourself inside a house or otherwise enclosed area and using a spell like the Crystal Vile Shard allows for a flawless, albeit slow kill.
- Opening a small hole in an enclosed space can allow the player to use projectiles to easily kill the Hemogoblin Shark, however it can still hit players with its Blood Shot attack.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Hemogoblin Shark is a portmanteau of hemoglobin, an oxygen-carrying protein found in vertebrates which is responsible for giving blood its red color, and goblin shark, a rare and ancient species of shark native to the deep waters of the Eastern Atlantic, from which this enemy likely takes its appearance.
- Hemogoblin is also an anagram of hemoglobin.
- It is the only non-Old One's Army event enemy to follow the Attacker AI.
- Unlike other enemies with this AI, it will not prioritize the Eternia Crystal over the player if both are present.
- The Bestiary entry for the Hemogoblin Shark: "Half-shark, half-goblin, completely murderous! One of the numerous reasons to just stay home during a Blood Moon."
- This references the Minishark's tooltip, 'Half shark, half gun, completely awesome.'
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]