Not to be confused with Honey Block.
Honey is a liquid found at the bottom of Bee Hives and in small patches with honey blocks within the Underground Jungle. It is also sometimes created when players mine Hive blocks. Honey flows even more slowly than Lava, and it also greatly slows the movement speed of submerged players (items like the Fishron Wings can counter this effect). Like other liquids, Honey can be transported with Buckets or Pumps. Like Water, the player can drown in honey, and any item which allows breathing, walking on, or swimming in water will do likewise for honey.
Honey has the unique effect of granting players, not NPCs (who can actually drown), the Honey life regeneration buff, which lasts for as long as they remain standing or swimming in the honey, plus 30 seconds after leaving. The player does not need to be submerged, but the honey pool must be at least two tiles worth, and at least 5/8 of a tile deep. The buff increases the rate at which player Health regenerates by 1 HP/s per second and increases natural heal rate acceleration by a factor of three. In addition, it reduces the damage from life-losing debuffs like Venom by 2 HP per second.
Honey can also be used to produce two "healing potions": Bottled Honey and the Honeyfin. When exposed to water it produces a Honey Block (useful for crafting furniture and such); when exposed to lava it produces a Crispy Honey Block (used for the Fishing Potion).
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|The Honey crafting station icon.|
Like Water and Lava, honey can be used as a minor crafting station. It works just like those two: in order to use it the player only has to stand nearby. Creation of items from a body of honey does not lower the honey level at all.
Used to craft[edit | edit source]
Bottled Honey restores 80 health on use. Honey can also be used to make the following items, though not as a crafting station:
|Item||When combined with|
|Crispy Honey Block||Lava|
Fishing[edit | edit source]
|Catches from Honey|
|Honeyfin||Restores 120 Health when used.|
|Bumblebee Tuna||Quest item for the Angler NPC, hence can only be fished when its particular quest is active.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlike water, Honey can exist in The Underworld.
- Honey greatly reduces visibility compared to water, even when lit with multiple Torches.
- Rain will not turn Honey to Honey Block.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Honey is subject to all the infinite replication methods.
- Since Honey can exist in The Underworld, a player could use an infinite replication method to flood The Underworld and provide safe (albeit slow without water-walking or something like Fishron Wings) passage without having to worry about falling into lava or spending extra time and effort building bridges over lava pools. This also makes a pool of honey a viable solution for a permanent safe landing zone at the bottom of a Hellevator.
- Honey can be valuable while fighting any boss as the regeneration boost can protect weaker players. In conjunction with Heart Lanterns and campfires the resulting regeneration boost can negate the need for the Band of Regeneration, freeing up an accessory slot.
- On the Desktop version and Mobile version, using the Lava Shark mount makes it possible to continually receive the regeneration boost while retaining or even improving mobility.
- By creating a circle of Bubbles and putting a bucket of honey in, the player can quickly run through to get the health regeneration boost without much loss in speed.
- By using Flipper Potion, the player can reduce the effect of moving through honey even further.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.4: Honey is dynamic and has a setting to be more or less dynamic.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Now spawns naturally along with honey blocks in small amounts as a sign that a Bee Hive is close by.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Fixed a bug with leaving honey having water sound and particles.
- Teleporting from Honey to Water will no longer leave the player moving slowly, as if they are still in honey.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.