The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
The Hook is an item used solely to craft the Grappling Hook, which also requires three iron chains. It is an uncommon drop from Skeletons, Undead Miners, and Piranhas.
- The drop rate is fairly rare. A good way to find one is to make a long flat piece of land long enough to extend off-screen, and far enough underground for Skeletons to spawn (generally the Rock Layer); this will ensure a continuous wave of Skeletons. Placing a Water Candle and using a Battle Potion will spawn more skeletons, further increasing the chances of getting a hook.
- An easy way for Terraria beginners to obtain a hook is to locate the jungle, set out a long pool that is about 4 blocks deep, and fill it with water. Plenty of piranhas will spawn and can be farmed to obtain hooks. They do have a lower drop rate than that of obtaining them from skeletons but many piranhas will spawn. It is also common to find these kinds of pools naturally generating.
- Another way to get a good amount of hooks is, find a Skeleton Statue, and wire it to a timer. Then, place the statue in 1 pixel thick lava. Put a roof over the statue, and make sure that there is a 2 block high window in this little spawn room (5 blocks high, 4 blocks wide) on both sides for the hook to escape when the Skeleton dies. Sit here and continue collecting the hooks for as long as desired for a considerable amount of hooks.
- Early in the game, players may find it easiest to find a hook by searching the Jungle and/or Underground Jungle for a large body of water. Piranha spawn quickly, making up for the lower drop rate.
- When the Grappling Hook has already been crafted and iron supplies aren't needed, extra hooks can be crafted into additional Grappling Hooks with just 9 Iron Bars (which must be crafted into 3 Iron Chains first), and sold to a vendor, yielding a more impressive amount (40 Silver) than selling the Hook (2 Silver) and Iron Bars (27 Silver) separately.
- New tooltip.
- Added to the game.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.