|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Duration||102–10 or 20 seconds|
- Internal Buff ID: 20
- Internal NPC ID: 1011
Hornets are flying enemies found in the Underground Jungle. They follow the Flying AI, floating just out of reach and then charging the player, while also firing stinger projectiles (at an increased rate in Expert Mode).
These stingers have a
33.33*1/3 (33.33%) chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff on the player for 10 seconds. In Expert mode, the chance is 33.33*1/3 (33.33%) for 20 seconds and 66.67*2/3 (66.67%) for 2–10 seconds. The stingers cannot be destroyed with weapons and travel at about the same speed as the darts from a Dart Trap.
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|NPC ID||Type||Health||Damage||Defense||KB Resist||Coins|
|42||Hornet||48/96›104›210/144›156›315||26/52›46›92/78›69›138||12/12›12›24||50%/55%/60%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4Post-Plantera: 8|
|-16||Little Stinger||40/81›88›178/122›132›267||22/44›39›78/66›58›117||10/10›10›20||43%/48%/54%||170Pre-Hardmode: 425Hardmode: 340Post-Plantera: 680|
|-17||Big Stinger||57/115›124›252/172›187›378||31/62›55›110/93›82›165||14/14›14›28||60%/64%/68%||240Pre-Hardmode: 6Hardmode: 480Post-Plantera: 960|
|231||Fatty Hornet||50/100›110›220/150›165›330||22/44›38›78/66›57›117||16/16›16›32||70%/73%/76%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4Post-Plantera: 8|
|-56||Little Fatty Hornet||42/85›93›187/127›140›280||18/37›32›66/56›48›99||13/13›13›27||66%/69%/72%||170Pre-Hardmode: 425Hardmode: 340Post-Plantera: 680|
|-57||Big Fatty Hornet||62/125›137›275/187›206›412||27/55›47›97/82›71›146||20/20›20›40||78%/80%/82%||250Pre-Hardmode: 625Hardmode: 5Post-Plantera: 10|
|232||Honey Hornet||42/84›92›184/126›138›276||28/56›50›100/84›75›150||12/12›12›24||40%/46%/52%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4Post-Plantera: 8|
|-58||Little Honey Hornet||33/67›73›147/100›110›220||22/44›40›80/67›60›120||9/9›9›19||28%/35%/42%||160Pre-Hardmode: 4Hardmode: 320Post-Plantera: 640|
|-59||Big Honey Hornet||48/96›105›211/144›158›317||32/64›57›114/96›86›172||13/13›13›27||49%/54%/59%||229Pre-Hardmode: 575Hardmode: 459Post-Plantera: 919|
|233||Leafy Hornet||38/76›82/114›123||30/60›54/90›81||14||55%/60%/64%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4|
|-60||Little Leafy Hornet||34/69›75/104›113||27/55›49/82›74||12||51%/56%/61%||184Pre-Hardmode: 460Hardmode: 368|
|-61||Big Leafy Hornet||41/83›90/125›135||33/66›59/99›89||15||60%/64%/68%||220Pre-Hardmode: 550Hardmode: 440|
|234||Spikey Hornet||42/84›92›184/126›138›276||32/64›56›114/96›84›171||6/6›6›12||45%/51%/56%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4Post-Plantera: 8|
|-62||Little Spikey Hornet||32/65›71›143/98›107›215||24/49›43›88/74›65›133||4/4›4›9||33%/40%/46%||156Pre-Hardmode: 390Hardmode: 312Post-Plantera: 624|
|-63||Big Spikey Hornet||48/97›106›213/146›160›320||37/74›64›132/111›97›198||6/6›6›13||54%/58%/63%||231Pre-Hardmode: 580Hardmode: 463Post-Plantera: 927|
|235||Stingy Hornet||38/76›82›166/114›123›249||34/68›60›122/102›90›183||4/4›4›8||40%/46%/52%||2Pre-Hardmode: 5Hardmode: 4Post-Plantera: 8|
|-64||Little Stingy Hornet||33/66›71›144/99›107›216||29/59›52›106/88›78›159||3/3›3›6||32%/39%/46%||174Pre-Hardmode: 435Hardmode: 348Post-Plantera: 696|
|-65||Big Stingy Hornet||45/91›99›200/137›148›301||41/82›72›147/123›108›221||4/4›4›9||53%/57%/62%||242Pre-Hardmode: 65Hardmode: 484Post-Plantera: 968|
- Though the Dragon Hornet appears to have only one stinger like the Hornet, it can drop up to three.
- In reality, a hornet is a type of wasp.
- Despite real hornets not being able to shoot their stingers, they can sting multiple times and can potentially be fatal, especially to those who are allergic.
- The Bestiary entry for the Hornet: "Aggressive flying insects which swarm the jungle depths. Their venomous barbs discharge over great distances at high velocity."
- Bee – a similar, but much less dangerous enemy
- Bee Mount – a rideable bee mount
- Hornet minion – a hornet minion which fights enemies
- Baby Hornet – a hornet pet (which will not fight)
- Tiphia – a tiphia pet sharing almost the exact same appearance (which will do 1 damage to enemies every ~0.3 seconds, but not chase them)
- Moss Hornet – a Hardmode Hornet type enemy
- Alien Hornet – a Vortex Pillar Hornet type enemy
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Hornets will no longer shoot at you while Stealthed.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Will no longer drop the Ancient Cobalt Helmet and the Ancient Cobalt Leggings together.
- Desktop 1.2: Health and damage reduced by 4% and 24% respectively.
- Now have a chance to drop Ancient Cobalt armor when killed.
- Desktop 1.1: Melee damage reduced from 45/38/32 to 40/34/28 respectively.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Poisonous stinger projectile added.
- Hornets are now correctly unable to enter water.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Should not enter water from now on.
- Doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Variants Big Stinger and Little Stinger introduced.
- Hornets no longer drop Jungle armor, which is instead crafted by the player.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Dragon Hornet. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Dragon Hornet. ()
- Console 1.02: Dragon Hornet drops added.
- Console-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: Removed Dragon Hornet.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.