Ice TortoiseHardmode exclusive
|AI Type||Tortoise AI|
|Damage||55/110/165 / 110198297 (while spinning)|
|Defense||28 / 56 (while spinning)|
|Banner||Ice Tortoise Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 154
The Ice Tortoise is a Hardmode Ice biome enemy. It walks around slowly, and occasionally retracts into its shell. It then starts spinning and hurls itself at the player, gaining increased defense and dealing high contact damage.
- The cooldown between spin attacks is 6.67 seconds by default. It is reset if the Ice Tortoise takes damage.
- If the Ice Tortoise is more than 12.5 tiles away from the player and has an unobstructed line of sight to them, the cooldown is reduced to 1.33 seconds.
- If it is more than 37.5 tiles away, and has an unobstructed line of sight or is no more than 12.5 tiles above them, it is further reduced to 0.61 seconds.
- If in water, the Ice Tortoise will use its spin attack continuously.
- Each spin attack consists of half a second of retracting into the shell, spinning for 1.5 seconds, then decelerating until coming to a stop on a solid surface, and coming out of the shell for half a second again. Attacking an Ice Tortoise at any time cancels the spin attack.
- Although the trajectory of the Ice Tortoise during its spin attack is determined the moment it retracts into its shell and is based on the player's position at that time, the enemy does recognize the player's current position, and will slow down very quickly and attempt to drop down as soon as it is above the player.
- Because Ice Tortoises emit a fair amount of light, they are comparably easy to spot. This also helps in revealing unexplored caves.
- Any weapon with a high rate of attack is effective, as it prevents the Ice Tortoise from using its spin attack. Viable options include the Megashark or a yoyo.
- Melee weapons are useful as long as the player stays close to the Ice Tortoise. Even when not attacking continuously, the spin attack cooldown is much higher at close range.
- Pools of water should be avoided, as they cause the Ice Tortoise to immediately charge at the player.
- Ice Tortoises cannot drop through platforms. Setting up several rows of long platforms significantly reduces the danger of the spin attacks.
- This enemy, as well as its Giant Tortoise variation, appears to reference Tatori, a similar tortoise enemy in the action-adventure game Super Metroid that also attacks the player with the same flying spin.
- The Bestiary entry for the Ice Tortoise: "Like their jungle cousins, ice tortoises are an unexpectedly serious threat, possessing surprising speed and mobility. "
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated. Old sprite was
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.