|Use time||24 (Fast)|
|Tooltip||Build momentum to increase attack power|
'Have at thee!'
- Jousting Lance
The Jousting Lance is a Hardmode melee weapon purchased from the Zoologist for 6. When attacking using ⚒ Use / Attack, the lance will extend, and holding ⚒ Use / Attack will keep it extended at a fixed angle. The damage will increase depending on the player's movement speed, making mounts, sprinting accessories, or dash abilities (such as those granted by Shield of Cthulhu, Tabi/Master Ninja Gear, or Solar Flare armor) useful for maximizing damage.
When the player takes damage, the Jousting Lance will stop being active.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.
- Because the weapon is retracted as soon as damage is taken, it is not very effective at fighting enemies that can survive more than a single hit. However, it is adept at clearing weak crowds.
- This makes jousting matches between players feasible, as the losing player will not be able to deal damage to the winning one.
- This can be mitigated somewhat with Feral Claws or its upgrades, as autoswing makes the player automatically ready their next attack after taking damage. Additionally, the knockback bonus from Titan Glove accessories will make the player less likely to take damage in the first place.
- The damage that jousting lances gets from momentum does not have a limit. This can be paired with the Mollusk Whistle or the Inner Tube and a very deep pool of water to gain ridiculous amounts of momentum, and, in turn, damage, by surfacing from the bottom to the top of the pool of water. This damage is even able to one shot the Dungeon Guardian with the right setup.
- Conversely, holding the lance straight up or down gives it a much taller hitbox, which can make hitting flying or less predictable enemies easier when charging.
- Holding the lance straight down when falling down a hellevator will prevent cobwebs, such as those created in a Spider Cave, from slowing the player's descent. The high fall speed can also help deal with enemies.
- The tooltip "Have at thee!" is a reference to a line in the William Shakespeare play "The History of King Henry the Sixth".
- The Hallowed Jousting Lance and the Shadow Jousting Lance can be considered its upgrades.
- Holding the lance in the opposite of the direction of travel will cause mounts to moonwalk at full speed. i.e a Unicorn mount can gallop backwards.
- While riding a mount, the Jousting Lance will hover in the air, making the player's hand not holding it visually.
- Holding a lance in a minecart can result in the player visually holding it behind themself if the Minecart Tracks reversed the direction of travel.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Jousting Lances can no longer receive melee speed prefixes. They already could not benefit from melee speed, but this fixes some bugs caused by melee speed modifiers that impacted them.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 184.108.40.206.4.1: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.
Template:Master Template Weapons/content'"`UNIQ--item-1881--QINU`"'