Living Trees are large tree-shaped structures generated at world creation. Unlike regular trees, Living Trees are constructed from foreground Living Wood and Leaf Blocks, rather than being background objects that characters can pass through.
Living Trees are very large and often (but not always) contain an internal, vertical tunnel structure which leads down to a room containing Living Tree-themed furniture and a Living Wood Chest, all of which can be looted. The chest can contain either a Living Wood Wand (for placing Living Wood), a Leaf Wand (for placing Leaf Blocks), or a Living Loom (for crafting Living Wood furniture).
In the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Living Trees have larger and rounder tops and can generate in groups. They also have horizontal tunnels that can connect to other trees or lead outside of them. Chests can be generated inside these tunnels. One of the trees will usually have the treasure room, which contains a Living Loom along furniture and a Living Wood Chest. The entrance to their internal tunnels are enclosed, requiring a pickaxe to enter them. Gnomes can also be found more often within Living Trees.
- When mined with a pickaxe or drill, Living Wood turns into plain Wood and Leaf Blocks are destroyed.
- In small worlds, some Living Trees extend high enough for Harpies to spawn.
- In Old-gen console version, version, Switch version, and tModLoader version the chest rooms found inside Living Trees can, by default, usually become valid houses for NPCs once a light source is added. In the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version (after 1.4) the naturally generated Living Wood Walls no longer provide housing conditions, however a simple fix is to tear them down using a hammer and then re-place them.
- Sometimes Living Trees' internal tunnels can be replaced entirely by an Enchanted Sword Shrine biome, causing the Living Tree to be only at surface level. There may be small traces of Living Tree wood underneath the ground, to determine if this occurred.
- Up to five Living Trees can spawn in a single world on the Old-gen console version, version, Switch version, and tModLoader version.
- When in a world which has the seed "05162020" the living tree closest to the right ocean will have the dungeon beneath it. This dungeon will spawn as a smaller version of the normal one and has Chippy's Couch in it.
- Rooms in Living Trees can be used for NPC housing by simply adding a light source.
- During Hardmode, Living Trees act as natural barriers against the evil biomes' and Hallow's increased rate of spreading, provided that the area beneath the tree is cleared.
- Because the tunnel inside the tree is curving slightly and it contains several platforms, the player does not need to fear taking fall damage from jumping down.
- Living Trees are of great help fighting The Destroyer. Standing on top of a Living Tree forces the boss to make more predictable attacks.
A single Living Tree with a treasure room in 1.4, viewed with Terrafirma.
A Living Tree blocking the spread of The Crimson underground.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Can now generate in groups of 2-6.
- These groups have horizontal tunnels that can interconnect each other.
- Gnomes now ocassionally spawn in Living Trees.
- Living Trees' interior entrances are blocked off with Living wood.
- Living Wood Chests now have a
33.33*1/3 (33.33%) chance of containing the Finch Staff and a 10*1/10 (10%) chance of containing the Ladybug or Sunflower Minecart.
- The tops of Living Trees are rounder.
- The walls of the rooms in Living Trees are no longer considered valid for NPC housing.
- Treasure room now contain a placed Living Loom rather than a Living Wood Table.
- Can now generate in groups of 2-6.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Living Mahogany Trees introduced.
- Living Trees now spawn with Living Wood Platforms instead of Wood Platforms.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Added all features and changes from Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.