|Use time||90 (Snail)|
|Tooltip||If you listen closely, you can hear the ocean|
- Internal Item ID: 4263
Not to be confused with the Demon Conch.
The Magic Conch is an item that teleports the player to the Ocean furthest from the player. Like the Magic Mirror, it can be used limitlessly. It can be found randomly in Sandstone Chests, Oasis Crates, and Mirage Crates.
- The exact tile that the player is transferred to is the one furthest from them horizontally, then highest, that is not obstructed by liquid. When a world first generates, this will typically be on the sand, directly in front of the water.
- There must be blocks extending down to the ocean surface level underneath a tile for the conch to teleport the player to it. The blocks can have gaps less than the height of the player between each other and above the ocean. This allows the magic conch to potentially teleport a player to 6 different locations per map, utilizing mounts to change their height. If both oceans are fully obstructed from spawning (eg. flooding), the player will be teleported to their current location
- The particular tile the player will be teleported to is determined right before the actual teleportation takes place, not when activating the item.
- The particles that are seen upon use are water particles. These particles will change with the biome that the player is in to properly match the particles to the correct water color. The effect of Water fountains and Blood Moons also changes the particle colors, taking priority over the biome's natural color.
- If the player is on the eastern side of the world relative to the spawn point, then they will be transferred to the western ocean, and vice versa.
- It can be used to find the Angler quickly to start fishing quests, if both oceans haven't been yet explored.
- Allows for alternative access to the Pylon network, if you have acquired an Ocean Pylon. Useful if your spawn point is set in an arena far from your town.
- Since only one Ocean Pylon can be used in a world, but worlds have two oceans, the Magic Conch can also be useful for accessing the Ocean that doesn't have a Pylon.
- The Magic Conch is especially useful during the Lunar Events, as two Celestial Pillars often spawn closer to the edges of the world. Since the Pylon network is inaccessible during events, the Magic Conch can allow easy access to each side of the world.
- The Magic Conch makes setting up a Pylon network a lot easier. When setting up a town in the Ocean biome, the Magic Conch allows the player to go from their Spawn to the Ocean they're setting up much quicker and return back to Spawn in order to get supplies, as opposed to having to travel across a large portion of the world.
- The Magic Conch makes traveling to the Dungeon much quicker as well. Since the Dungeon is always close to the Ocean, the player can access it much faster. This is especially useful when exploring the post-Plantera Dungeon, as it's likely the player will be dying a lot there.
- The Magic Conch will send the user to the other Ocean biome if they are already in one. This allows easy access to either side of the world, as the player simply has to use the Magic Conch a second time.
- The Magic Conch can save time when attempting to start the Martian Madness event, as it will let you teleport straight to either side of the map where the Martian Probes spawn.
- Its tooltip, "If you listen closely, you can hear the ocean" is a reference to how holding a shell to one's ear can sound like ocean waves. In reality, the cavity of the shell causes surrounding noises to resonate, which can sound like ocean waves.
- It has the slowest use time in the game, tied with the Demon Conch, Magic Mirrors, and Snake Charmer's Flute.
- The color of the water particles that appear when using the item changes depending on the current biome.
- The name of the Magic Conch is likely based on the Magic Conch Shell featured in the Club Spongebob episode of Spongebob Squarepants, which became a popular meme online.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 220.127.116.11.4.1: Introduced with changes from Desktop 18.104.22.168.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 126.96.36.199.