The Marble Cave is a mini-biome found in the Underground or Cavern layers. It is made entirely out of Marble Blocks and Marble Walls, and contains several Pots of a design unique to the area. It normally generates as a long, singular horizontal passage, but the shape can be affected by overlapping cave systems. Marble Caves can also spawn appropriately themed Underground Cabins built with Smooth Marble Blocks, housing Marble Chests with ordinary underground treasure.
Marble Caves can prove to be one of the most dangerous areas in the game, even for endgame characters. While Hoplites are ranged enemies that deal respectable damage to pre-Hardmode characters, the Hardmode enemy Medusa inflicts Stoned, one of the most deadly debuffs in the entire game, capable of completely immobilizing a player from great distances, dealing significantly inflated fall damage, and leaving them vulnerable for several seconds if they survive. Even well-prepared characters should take caution when in the vicinity of a Marble Cave, as even being near one can cause these unique enemies to spawn in ordinary underground spaces.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Since it is only a mini-biome, the usual NPC spawning rules do not apply to the Marble Cave. Instead, Hoplites and Medusas require one Marble Block on which they can spawn, inside the player's spawn range; or any Marble Block between 30 and 60 tiles away from the player. A single Marble Block is sufficient (although the chance increases with the number of Marble Blocks) and Marble Walls do not have any impact. However, if the player is standing on a Marble Block, the chance for Hoplites and Medusas to spawn gets a significant boost. In that case, no further Marble Blocks in the vicinity are required.
- If it generates at a low enough depth, the cave can be flooded with lava. This can be a double edged sword; While the lava takes care of deadly enemies like hoplites and Medusas, the lava itself is quite easy to fall into. Filling the spaces between the spiky formations with lava can be an effective defense, and if done right, can allow for the complete elimination of threats.
- On the "Drunk world" secret world seed, the generation structure of Marble Caves is swapped with Granite Caves.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Breaking the stalagmites and stalactites will cause a bleeding effect.
- The pot designs, the look of the marble and enemies all are references to ancient Greece.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Added multiple new drops from Marble Cave enemies:
- Added new Marble rubble piles.
- Fixed a world generation issue where Granite and Marble biomes that had generated under the Dungeon would still leave some of the Dungeon Bricks hammered in the same shape they were when before the Dungeon generated.
- Improved how Marble Walls generate, as they no longer generate in such a distinctly "square" shape.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Medusas now only appear in Hardmode.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206.5: Introduced. ()
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced. ( )
References[edit | edit source]