Moss is a grass-like plant that grows on Stone Blocks. It comes in 9 / 6 / 5 different colors, and one color can be found throughout each third of a given map (three colors per world), either randomly on cave surfaces or in moss chambers with a matching mossy wall. Mossy stone requires one more hit to break than clean stone. Moss will be destroyed if the Stone Block it is on converts to Ebonstone, Crimstone, or Pearlstone. Moss sprouts fuzz that can be cut like grass weeds.
On the Desktop version and Mobile version, moss can be collected using a Paint Scraper or Spectre Paint Scraper. Only
11.11*1/9 (11.11%) of such moss will drop as an item when using either scraper, the rest will simply disappear as usual. Collected moss can be placed on Stone Blocks and Gray Bricks, or used to craft mossy walls.
Lava Moss is a special variant of moss that can only be found in the lava layers of the Cavern, though if harvested, it can be planted at any level. Despite not being considered one of the glowing mosses, it glows in the dark.
Glowing mosses are special variants of moss that grow in glowing moss biomes in much larger areas than standard moss, and glow in the dark similarly to Lava Moss. There are three versions of glowing moss; Krypton, Xenon, and Argon Moss. Only one type of glowing moss can be found in each world, in a total of up to two (small world) / three (medium) / four (large) glowing moss biomes in the Cavern layer, mostly above the lava layers, but not under the spawn area.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Stone Block||Gray Brick()|
Internal Item ID: 4349
Internal Item ID: 4350
Internal Item ID: 4351
Internal Item ID: 4352
Internal Item ID: 4353
Internal Item ID: 4354
Internal Item ID: 4377
Internal Item ID: 4378
Internal Item ID: 4389
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On moss-covered stone blocks, Strange Plants are able to grow.
- Moss slowly spreads across exposed Stone Blocks and Gray Bricks at any depth, once planted (including above ground). If the player does not have access to a Paint Scraper to collect moss with, they can grow extra moss by building "bridges" of stone for existing moss to grow across.
- The Staff of Regrowth can be used on Stone Blocks to grow moss at any depth. The type of moss will vary depending on the proximity to other types of moss. As such, one can spread the Lava Moss from the cavern's lava layers all the way up to the surface.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The tooltip of the glowing mosses, 'A sight to dwell upon and never forget', is a quote by Morris Travers, an English chemist who worked with Sir William Ramsay in the discovery of xenon, neon, and krypton.
- The glowing mosses' colors do not accurately match the actual colors that such gases produce in real life when used in a gas-discharge lamp.
- The colors of the glowing mosses (including Lava Moss) represent the Lunar Fragments.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.2: Fixed an issue where moss would not always use the proper frame when on servers.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Fire Moss renamed Lava Moss.
- Added Krypton, Xenon, and Argon Moss.
- Mosses have now been given an item form and can be collected with a Paint Scraper.
- Mosses can now be crafted into Moss Walls, and vice versa.
- Moss can now spread and be placed on Gray Bricks.
- All mosses now have official names.
- Staff of Regrowth can no longer place moss on bare stone.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Added Fire Moss.
- Staff of Regrowth can now place moss on bare stone.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Added all features and changes from Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.