|AI Type||Mourning Wood AI|
|Damage||120/180/270 (melee) |
100200300 (Flaming Wood, health ≥ 25%)
150300450 (Flaming Wood, health < 25%)
80160240 (Greek Fire, health ≥ 25%)
100200300 (Greek Fire, health < 25%)
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Spooky Wood (30–50)100%
- Internal NPC ID: 325
Mourning Wood is a Hardmode mini-boss that spawns during the Pumpkin Moon event. The boss is a living tree form that resembles a jack-o-lantern. Killing the Mourning Wood will add 75 points during the Pumpkin Moon event. It is the Pumpkin Moon equivalent of the Everscream which behaves in an almost identical way to the Mourning Wood.
Mourning Wood alternates between two attacks:
- Fires a volley of "Flaming Wood" (flaming spikes) at the player. These pass through blocks.
- Fires a jet of "Greek Fire" (sparkling flames). These do not pass through blocks. They are affected by gravity and remain on the ground for a while, doing damage to players that touch them.
- The drop chance of the Mourning Wood's dropped items increases linearly with the wave it is in (lowest drop chance in wave 4, highest drop chance in wave 15). In wave 15 it will also drop a trophy and other loot.
- Mourning Wood can initially pass through blocks when it spawns within them, floating towards the player until it reaches an open area. It resembles a Wraith's behavior. Otherwise it walks on surfaces and cannot jump.
- In the Mobile version, Mourning Wood will not despawn or run away when it is on screen.
- It does not despawn after killing all available players, unless on the version.
- The Stakes' drop rate is reduced on the version.
- The closer to death a Mourning Wood is, the faster it moves, a trait shared with several other enemies.
- Pay attention to when a Mourning Wood stops walking. This means it is going to performs one of its two ranged attacks.
- It is advisable not to enter a small room while fighting a Mourning Wood because its "Flaming Wood" attack can go through walls.
- Mourning Wood's "Greek Fire" attacks cannot pass through water, therefore submerging the mini-boss at least halfway up is an easier way to defeat it. Note the "Flaming Wood" attacks do pass through water.
- Mourning Wood can be defeated with relative ease by aiming the North Pole above it so it gets hit by several of its snowflake projectiles.
- Mourning is the grief over someone's death, and fits in well with the Halloween theme of the Pumpkin Moon.
- The name is a pun on "morning wood", a slang term referring to nocturnal erections during REM sleep. Throughout the game, similar innuendos can be found, such as the Golden Shower and Master Bait items.
- Real-life Greek fire was an incendiary weapon used by the Byzantine Empire in naval battles. Some historians believe it could be ignited on contact with water, which contradicts the properties of the projectile in-game.
- According to the Splinterling's Bestiary entry, Mourning Woods reproduce by snapping cuttings from their bodies and thrusting them into the soil. The cuttings eventually grow into Splinterlings.
- Mourning Wood is the only event mini-boss to drop an Expert Mode-exclusive item, the Witch's Broom.
- The Bestiary entry for the Mourning Wood: "These enormous murder trees nightmarishly stomp about, prepared to shower endless fiery destruction upon all life."
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- Information taken from the Desktop 188.8.131.52 source code, method
) There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 184.108.40.206.
aiStyle == 57
- Pumpkin Moon enemies have a greater chance of dropping loot in later waves than in earlier waves (except for guaranteed drops such as Spooky Wood, and except for trophies – which never drop except in Wave 15 when they will always drop). Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
Terraria.GameContent.ItemDropRules.ItemDropDatabase.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.