- Para una lista completa de los nombres de los NPC, véase Nombres de NPCs.
Un NPC (por sus siglas en inglés Non-Player Character, Personaje no jugador en español) es un personaje automatizado amistoso que le provee algunos servicios al jugador. Los jugadores pueden usar los NPCs situándose cerca de ellos y usando el botón ⚷ Abrir / Activar en ellos. La mayoría de los NPCs son vendedores, vendiéndole objetos a los jugadores a cambio de monedas, y el jugador puede vender objetos para obtener monedas. La mayoría de los NPCs también tienen un método de ataque que usarán para defenderse contra enemigos cuando están cerca de ellos. Algunos NPCs también realizan otras funciones.
La mayoría de los NPCs son ciudadanos, quienes aparecen después de ciertas condiciones. Ellos se mudan a casas hechas por el jugador. Cuando algunos NPCs viven en grupos, los enemigos no aparecerán en la ciudad, excepto durante eventos como la Luna sangrienta. Los ciudadanos pueden pasear durante el día, y a veces se sentarán en sillas. Regresarán a sus casas al anochecer, y se quedaran allí hasta el día siguiente.
Los NPCs tienen puntos de vida limitados y pueden morir a causa de enemigos, trampas o lava. Su vida regenera lentamente, y si un ciudadano muere, reaparecerá en un corto período de tiempo si hay una casa disponible.
Actualmente hay 22 ciudadanos, 7 de los cuales sólo aparecen en el Modo Difícil. Hay 3 NPCs que no pueden mudarse a casas.
Town NPCs require a suitable, vacant House. A House is a confined room enclosed by a frame of blocks(4 high 10 long),and a table and chair. Certain types of furniture are required, as well as certain room dimensions (see House for details). Houses must not be located near Corruption or Crimson, and if those spread too close to an occupied House, the NPC living there may move out.
The Guide and Old Man are unique in that they always spawn upon creating a world. The Guide will also move into the first House you build. If he dies, he will need a proper House to respawn. The Old Man does not move into a House, but always appears near the Dungeon's entrance, and respawns the following day if killed.
If a House occupied by an NPC is damaged in a way that makes it invalid, the NPC will move out and walk around the area until a suitable House is restored. If killed, the NPC will respawn again whenever a new House becomes available. A house submerged in water remains valid housing for an NPC.
Buying and Selling
Items can be bought simply by right-clicking an NPC and taking items from their inventory while their cost in coins is available in the player's inventory. Holding the right mouse button will allow the player to buy an item in bulk, so long as the item is stackable. The buy speed increases the longer the right-click button is held. Certain NPCs will sell Biome-specific items if their House is located within a specific biome.
All NPC vendors can also be used to sell your unwanted or surplus items to gain coins, simply by placing your unwanted item(s) in their inventory. Items are always sold to vendors at one-fifth their purchase price. Not all items have a sell value (very common items such as Dirt or Wood have no value). Hovering over your item while the NPC's inventory is open will show its sell value. Should you change your mind about a sale, sold items can be taken back in exchange for the amount you sold them for, as long you haven't yet closed the NPC's inventory screen. This does not hold true for returning bought items, which must be sold back at their standard sell rate of one-fifth the purchase price.
All NPC vendors buy and sell at the same price.
You can decrease prices of some items if you use a Discount Card, which is a rare drop from the Pirate Invasion.
Listed in the order in which they are likely to be acquired.
|Guide||Starting a new world.||Provides tips, crafting recipes, and a general guide on how to get other NPCs.||Wooden Bow|
|Merchant*||All players combined have more than 50 in their inventories.||Sells certain basic tools.||Throwing Knife|
|Nurse||A player has more than 100 health and the Merchant is already present.||Heals players and cancels debuffs in exchange for coins.||Poisoned Knife|
|Dye Trader||A player must acquire a Dye item, or any item used to craft Dye, in addition to either defeating a Pre-Hardmode boss or acquiring one Strange Plant.||Sells the Dye Vat crafting station, and quests for rare plants.||Exotic Scimitar|
|Demolitionist||A player has an explosive in their inventory, and the Merchant is already present||Sells explosive items.||Grenades|
|Dryad*||A Boss is defeated other than King Slime, Lepus or Wall of Flesh.||Sells nature/Corruption/Crimson items, and can report the percentage of Corruption/Crimson and Hallow in the world.||Dryad's Blessing|
|Arms Dealer*||A player has bullets, or a gun that shoots bullets, in their inventory.||Sells certain guns, bullets, and after the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated, Unholy Arrows.||Flintlock Pistol / Minishark (Hardmode)|
|Stylist||Found and spoken to in a Spider Nest.||Can change your hair style, and sells Hair Dyes.||Stylish Scissors|
|Painter*||8 other town NPCs are acquired.||Sells paints and equipment used to paint blocks and walls different colors.||Paintball Gun|
|Angler||Found and spoken to in an Ocean Biome.||Gives Fishing quests.||Frost Daggerfish|
|Goblin Tinkerer||Found and spoken to underground after defeating a Goblin Invasion.||Sells items such as the Tinkerer's Workshop, and can reforge tools and equipment.||Spiky Balls|
|Witch Doctor*||Queen Bee is defeated.||Sells the Blowgun, the Imbuing Station, Summoners equipment and Fountains.||Blowgun|
|Clothier*||Skeletron is defeated.||Sells certain Vanity items, including the Familiar clothes.||Book of Skulls (Shadowflame variant)|
|Mechanic||Found and spoken to in the Dungeon.||Sells the Wrench, Wire, and other Mechanism related items. Also sells the Mechanic's Rod during Hardmode if the Angler is present but only during the night of a waning crescent moon.||Wrench (thrown)|
|Party Girl||Chance of spawning after acquiring 14 town NPCs.||Sells items that create colorful visual effects, such as the Bubble Machine, Confetti Gun, and fireworks. If killed, she does not always respawn the following day as other NPCs do, rather starting over with a 2% chance of re-spawning each dawn.||Confetti Gun, Happy Grenade|
|Pirate||A Pirate Invasion is defeated.||Sells the Cannon and other Pirate-related items.||Coin Gun|
|Truffle||A House is built in an above-ground Glowing Mushroom biome during Hardmode.||Sells mushroom-themed items.||Mushroom Spear & Mushroom spores|
|Wizard*||Found and spoken to in the Cavern layer in Hardmode.||Sells certain magical items.||Flower of Fire|
|Steampunker*||Once a Mechanical Boss is defeated.||Sells the Clentaminator, Teleporter, Jetpack, and other items.||Clockwork Assault Rifle|
|Cyborg*||Plantera is defeated.||Sells the Proximity Mine Launcher, Rockets and Nanites.||Proximity Mine Launcher|
|Santa Claus||The Frost Legion is defeated, appearing only from December 15–31.||Sells the Santa costume, colored lights, Christmas trees and their decorations.||Snowball Cannon|
|Tax Collector||Found as a Tortured Soul in the Underworld and revived with Purification Powder.||Collects property tax from the other NPCs for the Player. Each NPC that owns a house will pay 50 in property taxes. He can gather up to 10 at once.||Classy Cane|
- *Sells additional items during Halloween
The following NPCs are not considered town NPCs because they do not move into houses.
|Traveling Merchant||22% spawn chance during morning hours (04:30-12:00 in-game time) once two other NPCs are present||Stays for one day, sells a random selection of unique items each day.||Revolver/Pulse Bow (Hardmode)|
|Old Man||Starting a new world||Found at the entrance to the Dungeon. Summons Skeletron, but only at night. Once Skeletron is defeated, the Old Man is no longer present. It is implied that the curse he was afflicted with was removed and he became the Clothier.||None|
|Skeleton Merchant||Found randomly underground||Randomly sells Counterweights, Spelunker Glowsticks, Magic Lanterns, and the Yoyo Glove, and sells other items.||Bone|
- NPCs will take about 2 minutes to spawn after another NPC has spawned or dawn passes.
- Bound NPCs found underground can be freed by talking to them, after which they will always respawn whenever a vacant house is available. Having an empty room ready for them when you anticipate finding one will mean you will have convenient access to them from your Town earlier on, though this is not required, and building a house later will still cause them to spawn at that time.
- Unlike chests and structures generated on world creation, bound NPCs spawn around the player's position on-the-fly, similar to enemy spawns. They are temporary, and can respawn again elsewhere if missed (see NPC spawning).
- NPCs will not spawn during an active Event or at night.
- Male NPCs will teleport to a King Statue when you activate it, and similarly female NPCs will teleport to a Queen Statue when you activate it.
- All NPCs have an Attack stat of 10.
- NPCs will teleport home during the night if the player(s) are away from both their home and the NPC itself. This can be useful for relocating them across the map without needing to escort them or to get them across terrain that would otherwise kill them (such as a lava moat).
- As the mobile version currently has no housing interface, it is not possible to assign NPCs to certain houses, therefore making it difficult to control which house each of them lives in.
- NPCs will drown if submerged in water for too long. This is an easy way to get NPC drops before obtaining lava or Rotten Eggs.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- 2 new NPCs added: Skeleton Merchant and Tax Collector.
- Improved the sprite of some NPCs.
- NPCs now can sit in chairs and avoid being near chests.
- NPCs now avoid monsters and fight back if necessary.
- Having all possible NPCs living in your world now unlocks the Real Estate Agent achievement.
- NPCs now talk to each other.
- Changed the spawn order for Town NPCs so that the more important ones spawn first.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Added the Angler NPC. Fixed bugs with the sign / NPC chat display again. Fixed exploit where you could buy and sell stackable items for profit.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed problems with rescued NPCs not having any names.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- 2 new NPCs added: Stylist and Traveling Merchant.
- Names are now decided on spawn rather than World Creation.
- Fixed a bug where numerous NPCs could spawn if you beat a hardmode boss in a non-hardmode world.
- Invasions can now spawn enemies anywhere near friendly NPCs instead of just the middle of the world.
- Enemy attacks no longer trigger Spectre set healing from hitting friendly NPCs.
- Desktop 1.2.2: NPCs now go to shelter during Eclipses.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Added some checks to ensure multiple NPCs of the same type don’t spawn.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Rotten Eggs now correctly damage friendly NPCs.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Several friendly NPCs will sell costumes.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1.1: Bound NPCs now can be untied with Autopause enabled. Santa Claus added.
- Desktop 1.1:
- 3 new NPCs added: Goblin Tinkerer, Mechanic and Wizard.
- NPCs now have random names given to them on World Creation. Their deaths will be reported with these names. Also other NPCs will use them in their quotes. Upon respawning after Death will be given a new random name.
- NPCs now may be told where to live using the new Housing Menu feature.
- Two NPCs of the same type can no longer spawn, even in a multiplayer world. (Previously that was two additional merchants and second nurse. They had multiplayer conditions.)
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: NPCs now look at the character.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Shops now sell items back to you. Shift-clicking items will automatically sell them.
- New sound for initiating a conversation to an NPC.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Added an option that will pause the game while talking to an NPC in single player. It defaults to off.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.