|Tooltip||Transforms the holder into merfolk when entering water|
|Buff tooltip||Can breathe and move easily underwater|
Neptune's Shell is a Hardmode accessory that aids performance underwater (and in other liquids) by granting indefinite breathing time underwater, swimming via the ↷ Jump key, and eliminating the slow movement speed usually caused by water. Entering water with this accessory equipped transforms the player into Merfolk form. While in this form, the breath meter will not display (nor will it decrease), therefore effectively preventing drowning.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Neptune's Shell can only be obtained as a drop. It has a
2*1/50 (2%) / 3.96*99/2500 (3.96%) chance to be dropped by a Creature from the Deep during a Solar Eclipse event.
- On the Old-gen console version and version, Neptune's Shell can only be obtained through crafting.
Neptune's Shell can be considered an upgrade from the Diving Gear in most respects, but lacks the extra mobility on ice of the Arctic Diving Gear and the extra lighting underwater of the Jellyfish Necklace, though any light pet will compensate for this loss.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Swimming speed nears that of flying through air with wings.
- Swimming in honey activates all the perks of Merfolk but does not allow the player to move at full speed. Swimming in lava does not activate the Merfolk form.
- Landing in and "jumping" from water alone (by swimming up past the surface), without touching land, does not reset flight time for wings or variants of Rocket Boots.
- The Merfolk buff overrides the Werewolf buff, replacing the graphics and canceling the bonuses granted by the Moon Charm during the night.
- The Merfolk form is affected by dyes.
- Neptune's Shell can also be equipped as a vanity accessory, which causes the Merfolk form to appear regardless of whether the player is in water. This is merely the appearance of the Merfolk, the buff will not take effect while it is equipped as a vanity (caution should be taken when in water, as the player will need to watch their breath meter).
- Wearing a Fish Bowl will activate the Merfolk buff.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Half of the ingredients can be obtained pre-Hardmode, so it pays to collect them as early as possible.
- An easier/faster way to get the Neptune's Shell is by placing a Water Candle and/or consuming the Battle Potion because the Solar Eclipse does not have a set spawn rate.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the item refers to Neptune, Roman god of the sea.
- The player in merfolk form resembles the Zombie Merman and Icy Merman enemies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Can now hide the Neptune's Shell Merfolk transformation.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Sprite updated. Old sprite was .
- No longer craftable, now dropped by Creature from the Deep.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.