If you are looking for the more powerful hardmode version of the sword, see True Night's Edge.
The Night's Edge is the second most powerful pre-Hardmode weapon in the game, following the Star Cannon. It deals 42 base damage at Average speed. This weapon emits a large amount of purple light when swung – an amount similar to that of the Fiery Greatsword, so it is useful in caves. The Night's Edge gives off the light of the Fiery Greatsword, the design of the Muramasa, the length of the Blade of Grass, and the color and shadow particle effect of the Light's Bane or Blood Butcherer, which it is constructed of.
- Due to the average speed, the Night's Edge is able to triple-hit monsters. You will need to be close to the monster to get this effect.
- The Night's Edge may be a powerful melee weapon, but its low knockback and relatively low speed severely hinder it once Hard Mode has been activated.
- If you have problems crafting the Night's Edge, drop all four swords at the Demon Altar and then pick them up again.
- The Night's Edge is the most powerful pre hardmode sword.
- If your World spawns The Crimson instead of The Corruption, the Blood Butcherer will be required instead of Light's Bane because Light's Bane cannot be obtained in a Crimson world.
- Before Excalibur was introduced, Night's Edge was the most powerful sword in the game.
- When reforged to legendary, this weapon deals about as much damage as Excalibur's base damage.
- The Breaker Blade is comparable to this sword. The only advantages of Night's Edge over the Breaker Blade is that it emits light and its melee speed is faster(though, Breaker Blade is longer in return).
- The light emitted by this weapon has a similar particle effect to that of the Dark Lance and other Demonite tier items.
- It can be obtained only after Skeletron is defeated, because otherwise Muramasa is unobtainable.
- This weapon could be a reference to the Four Sword of the Legend of Zelda, particularly because the four swords used to make this are green (Blade of Grass), red (Fiery Greatsword), blue (Muramasa), and purple (Light's Bane), the same colors of the split Links.
- The name of this sword could be a reference to the song Edge of Night, sang by Pippin in the movie adaptation of LOTR: Return of the King.
- It is the only item other than boss-summoning items that is crafted at Demon Altar/Crimson Altar. Thus, it's a bad idea to smash all altars, especially if the player does not own Night's Edge.
- Can now be crafted into True Night's Edge.
- Now requires Blood Butcherer in place of Light's Bane in worlds with The Crimson.
- Now emits light, akin to several other Demonite items.
- New sprite.
- Speed changed from "Very Slow" to "Average".
- Damage increased from 40 to 42.
- Weapon reach shortened.
- Added to the game.