|Lost Girl transforms into a Nymph (in detail)|
The Nymph is a rare enemy that spawns in the Cavern layer of any biome. When encountered, she appears as the Lost Girl, who seems to be a helpless NPC in need of rescue. When a player gets close or attacks the Lost Girl, she transforms into the Nymph and starts attacking the player. For a pre-Hardmode enemy, she deals comparatively high damage.
The Lost Girl will only transform into a Nymph if any of the following conditions are met:
- The Lost Girl does not have full health.
- The distance between the player and the Lost Girl is less than 12.5 tiles, and she has a direct line of sight to the player.
- The Lost Girl is moving in any direction (e.g. caused by falling or knockback).
The Lost Girl is immune to the Confused debuff, but the transformed Nymph is not.
She is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Minions and other enemy-seeking weapons, such as the Possessed Hatchet and Razorblade Typhoon, will target the Lost Girl before she transforms into a Nymph.
- While the Nymph is one of the rarest enemies in Terraria, in reality, she spawns more frequently than is initially apparent. She is usually missed due to her passive and stationary behavior: she often remains in dark areas, without moving to attack players or making any sounds, unlike what most enemies would do. Using a Lifeform Analyzer, the Nymph's actual spawn rate becomes more apparent.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While she moves fast and has high contact damage, the Nymph cannot attack from a distance, nor can she jump very high. Staying out of reach and using a ranged weapon will allow dispatching her safely.
- The Nymph moves quite fast, and therefore, weapons that can stun-lock her are effective. Viable options include the Harpoon, flails, boomerangs, yoyos, or the Terragrim / Arkhalis. Even with her high health, the Harpoon can kill a Nymph in moments with no risk to the wielder, due to its extremely high rate of fire, so long as it is used at short range.
- A Hunter Potion, Lifeform Analyzer, or both can be useful for finding Lost Girls. The Hunter Potion will also reveal the Lost Girl to be an enemy as it highlights her red, not green.
- Nymphs spawn less frequently during Hardmode. This is because in Hardmode, despite the spawn rate for enemies becoming greater, the variety of enemies that can spawn makes it far less likely for the Nymph to be selected. For this reason, it is best to search for Nymphs prior to Hardmode to make obtaining the Metal Detector easier.
- Players encountering a Lost Girl for the first time in Classic Mode may confuse the Nymph for a town NPC in need of saving, due to having 250 health and appearing naked, making her look more vulnerable.
- If the player has the Magic Lantern light pet, the Lost Girl will sparkle, suggesting to the player that she is treasure (which is false). This can be used to locate Nymphs within a short radius, if the player does not yet have a Lifeform Analyzer.
- As with all rarer enemies, Water Candles and Battle Potions are useful for increasing the chance of encountering a Lost Girl.
- The Nymph also has a higher chance to spawn in the Jungle Temple and Underground Glowing Mushroom biome.Verify
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although the Nymph is much stronger in nearly all ways than the Lost Girl, the Lost Girl has more defense.
- In ancient Greek folklore, a nymph is a minor female deity who is generally regarded as a personification of nature.
- The Lost Girl sprite appears naked, likely to make her seem more vulnerable and in need of saving.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner depicts the Lost Girl, while the right half is the actual Nymph enemy.
- The Nymph's hands appear to be stained with blood.
- The achievement for killing the Nymph appears to show her in the Lost Girl form.
- With a drop chance of 0.5%, the Nymph Banner is one of the rarest items in the game.
- According to Redigit, the Nymph is the great-grandmother of the Guide.
- The design of the Lost Girl is similar to that of the Dryad, although the latter is covered in vines and has more saturated colors.
- The beginning of the Bestiary entry for the Lost Girl may be a reference to the American reality series Naked and Afraid.
- Lost Girl: "Naked and afraid, this girl stands still, deep in the world, as if waiting for someone to rescue her and lead her to the surface."
- Nymph: "Masterfully deceives explorers by posing as a lost girl, then attacks with ferocious might, blood-lust in her eyes."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Spawn chance increased.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now drop her own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.