|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
- Obsidian Swordfish
The Obsidian Swordfish is a Hardmode spear. It has the second-highest base damage of any spear (beaten only by the North Pole). However, it is very short compared to other Hardmode spears. It is obtained via fishing in lava, by using any lava fishing method (including lava bait or Lavaproof Fishing Hook) during Hardmode, or only by using the Hotline Fishing Hook.
The Obsidian Swordfish has an extraordinarily high base critical strike chance of 24% as opposed to the usual 4%. This gives it not only the highest base critical strike chance of any melee weapon, but also the second highest of any weapon, tied with the Sky Fracture and surpassed only by the Sniper Rifle.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.
- The world does not need to be in Hardmode in order to catch this item. However, a Hotline Fishing Hook is required, which can only be obtained in Hardmode worlds.
- It is possible to obtain the Obsidian Swordfish at the start of Hardmode. On the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version, catching it only requires lava bait. It is significantly better than the best pre-Hardmode spear, the Dark Lance.
- Despite having sword in the name, this weapon is not a sword, but a spear.
- Obsidian Swordfish have a strikingly similar appearance to Obsidifish.
- In real life, obsidian is extraordinarily sharp, which may be why the weapon has such a high crit chance.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Changed the fishing requirements from needing the Hotline Fishing Hook at any point to instead need any lava fishing method in Hardmode only.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.