Obsidian armor is an armor set that consists of the Obsidian Outlaw Hat, Obsidian Longcoat, and the Obsidian Pants.
Wearing the full set provides
Set[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
|Obsidian Longcoat ()||Hellforge|
|Obsidian Outlaw Hat ()|
|Obsidian Pants ()|
|Obsidian Longcoat ( )||Loom|
|Obsidian Outlaw Hat ( )|
|Obsidian Pants ( )|
total: 9 row(s)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On the Console version and Mobile version, Obsidian armor is statistically identical to Gold armor, without taking into account Gold armor's set bonus. Both can also be acquired before the player obtains a Deathbringer or Nightmare Pickaxe, but acquiring the Obsidian will require explosives or an alternate form of mining. On the Desktop version, it requires fighting the Brain of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds to obtain Tissue Samples or Shadow Scales. Defeating them is not strictly necessary, however, as the ingredients are dropped during the fight. It can be crafted after killing an average of 9 Creepers or 27 Eater of Worlds segments.
- Despite being made from Obsidian, this armor set grants no special protection against the On Fire! or Burning debuffs, whereas other Obsidian-related items do, like the Obsidian Skin Potion and Obsidian Skull.
- On the Desktop version, the whip speed from the set bonus appears to stack multiplicatively with other melee speed bonuses.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian armor is one of 4 armor sets that do not provide a set bonus, the others being Angler armor, Pink Snow armor, Rain armor, and Snow armor.
- This set's unique set bonus to whip damage is possibly a reference to cowboys often being depicted with whips, as this armor is themed around a wild west outlaw.
- Despite having a clear bonus and sell price, the Obsidian armor's set pieces only have a rarity of .
- Despite being a pre-Hardmode armor set, it gives the third most summon damage boost out of every summon set, bypassing Bee armor, Spider armor, Hallowed armor, and even Tiki armor, only beaten by Spooky armor and Stardust armor.
- From versions 1.4.1 to 184.108.40.206 Obsidian armor could easily be used to beat the game, even in Master Mode without too much trouble for most experienced players. While Obsidian armor is still very powerful, and can be used relatively far into Hardmode, it is now outclassed by the other Summoner armor sets. However, in it's current state, a player could still effectively use it to the end of the game due to the fact that the bonuses from the set scale exceptionally well.
- The internal names of the Obsidian Outlaw Hat and Longcoat are “ObsidianHelm” and “ObsidianShirt”, which may signify that the original designs looked more like traditional armour pieces.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Reduced the minion damage bonus on the helmet and legs from 9% to 8% each.
- Reduced the minion damage increase on the set bonus from 25% to 15%.
- Reduced the whip speed increase on the set bonus from 50% to 35%.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.