Obsidian armor is an armor set that consists of the Obsidian Outlaw Hat, Obsidian Longcoat, and the Obsidian Pants.
Wearing the full set provides
total: 9 row(s)
- On the Console version and Mobile version, Obsidian armor is statistically identical to Gold armor, without taking into account Gold armor's set bonus. Both can also be acquired before the player obtains a Deathbringer or Nightmare Pickaxe, but acquiring the Obsidian will require explosives or an alternate form of mining. On the Desktop version, it requires fighting the Brain of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds to obtain Tissue Samples or Shadow Scales. Defeating them is not strictly necessary, however, as the ingredients are dropped during the fight. It can be crafted after killing an average of 9 Creepers or 27 Eater of Worlds segments.
- Despite being made from Obsidian, this armor set grants no special protection against the On Fire! or Burning debuffs, whereas other Obsidian-related items do, like the Obsidian Skin Potion and Obsidian Skull.
- Desktop version the Whip Speed from its set bonus stacks multiplicatively with melee speed bonuses.
- Despite being a pre-Hardmode armor set, this armor's offensive bonuses are comparable to those of Post Golem sets making it a viable choice all the way up to the late game despite its low defense.
- Obsidian armor is one of 4 armor sets that do not provide a set bonus, the others being Angler armor, Pink Snow armor, Rain armor, and Snow armor.
- This set's unique set bonus to whip damage is possibly a reference to cowboys often being depicted with whips, as this armor is themed around a wild west outlaw.
- Despite having a clear bonus and sell price, the Obsidian armor's set pieces only have a rarity of .
- Despite being a pre-Hardmode armor set, it gives the third most summon damage boost out of every summon set, bypassing Bee armor, Spider armor, Hallowed armor, and even Tiki armor, only beaten by Spooky armor and Stardust armor.
- The internal names of the Obsidian Outlaw Hat and Longcoat are “ObsidianHelm” and “ObsidianShirt”, which may signify that the original designs looked more like traditional armour pieces. These could also just be placeholder names.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Reduced the minion damage bonus on the helmet and legs from 9% to 8% each.
- Reduced the minion damage increase on the set bonus from 25% to 15%.
- Reduced the whip speed increase on the set bonus from 50% to 35%.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.