The old Chinese version (lit 旧国服版本) of Terraria was created in collaboration between 505Games, Pipeworks Studios, and iDreamsky Technology. It was the first attempt at bringing Terraria to the Chinese market. Development was headed by iDreamsky's in-house studio Ledu Games, largely based off of Desktop 22.214.171.124, with some 126.96.36.199 content as well. However, due to government regulations and differing consumer taste, many changes and additions were made to the game.
The game was "free to try", allowing players to play the game for a short amount of time, and then pay to unlock the full game when time ran out. In order to fit in more with the Chinese market, the game was treated as more of a service or a subscription than a game that one would own. As such, the game was highly internet-dependent. The service ran from early 2018 to June 9, 2020. It was shut down due to copyright expiration and disagreements between iDreamsky and 505 Games.
- An NPC called the Star Merchant who sold exclusive items.
- Several new vanity sets.
- Added resurrection potions, unique weapons, and other paid equipment.
- An item called the Otherworld Core, used to expand the player's hotbar to 10 tiles.
- Each character starts with a copper broadsword instead of a copper shortsword.
- Various changes were made to enemies in order to comply with Chinese censorship:
- The Eye of Cthulhu and the Twins are "algae balls" rather than eyes.
- Skeletron and Skeletron Prime are Treants instead of skeletons.
- The Brain of Cthulhu is a jellyfish-like creature.
- The Wall of Flesh was changed to the "Lava World Eater", being made of obsidian and lava rather than gore.
- The Moon Lord's design was not as drastically changed as all the others, simply removing some of his exposed eyes, brain, and bones.
- Blood in all forms has been changed to other colors.
|Boss||Standard||Old Chinese version||New Chinese version|
|Eye of Cthulhu|
|Eye of Cthulhu
|Brain of Cthulhu|
|Brain of Cthulhu
|Wall of Flesh|