- Internal NPC ID: 148
- Internal NPC ID: 149
- Internal Item ID: 2205
A Penguin is a passive critter. It only spawns in the Snow Biome and may spawn with different colors. The Penguin behaves as the other normal ground critters: it wanders around randomly as any other critter would, and it can easily be killed by enemies. It can be caught with any Bug Net to be carried around in the inventory and released later, or crafted into a Penguin Cage to be used as decorative furniture. Once crafted, the caged Penguin cannot be released again, and when placed down it moves around inside the cage as it would do outside.
The Penguin Cage occupies a 6x3 space. The Penguin inside may follow the following patterns randomly:
- Move from one side to the other of the cage.
- Briefly move its head up and down.
- Blink in its place.
- Look around to the left and right.
Penguins become Corrupt Penguins or Vicious Penguins during a Blood Moon and will try to attack the player just like the other enemies. They can also be turned into their Corruption/Crimson variants with Vile Powder or Vicious Powder. They cannot be caught with a Bug Net in this state.
total: 4 row(s)
- The appearance of the penguin in the Penguin Cage is actually the Baby Penguin pet, because the normal penguin sprite is too tall.
- Penguins spawned from the Penguin Statue cannot be captured with a Bug Net.
- The Bestiary entry for the Penguin: "Penguins make their home in the coldest regions of the world, waddling around looking for tasty fish."
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be caught.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.