|Placeable||✓ (2 wide × 1 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Can be used to store your items|
Stored items can only be accessed by you
The Piggy Bank is the first of the "personal storage items" that can be purchased from the Merchant for 1. Like other storage items (eg. Chests), it contains 40 slots (4 rows of 10) that can be used to store anything. The Piggy Bank requires only a space 2 wide and 1 high for placement, but must be placed on a Work Bench, Table, or Platforms (in contrast, the Safe, Defender's Forge, and Void Vault can be placed on blocks, but are considerably larger). The Piggy Bank inventory can also be accessed via the Money Trough, which summons a temporary floating version of the Piggy Bank.
Unlike normal chests etc, the Piggy bank (along with the Safe, Defender's Forge, and Void Vault) is considered "personal storage". Items contained in a Piggy Bank are attached to the character rather than to a container in the world: The bank can be picked up and moved regardless of the items within. Coins and items stored within it are safe from other players, and will not be dropped on death. They will even travel with a character who goes to a different world. However, if a Hardcore character dies, all items in their personal storage will be deleted with the character (and lost forever).
Personal Storage versus Chests
- Each Piggy Bank contains the same items (when accessed by the same character), no matter where they are placed within the world. Purchasing multiple Piggy Banks will not give the player more space, but will offer more points of access to the Piggy Bank contents.
- The Piggy Bank can be picked up even when it contains items. This makes it a viable way to expand a character's Inventory slots.
- The Piggy Bank's contents are saved with the character data, instead of the World data. The contents are the same from world to world, and from server to server.
- The Piggy Bank's contents are exclusive to each player, so other players will not have access to items a player has stored there. This makes it useful for item security on PvP servers where stealing is allowed.
- Multiple players can use the same Piggy Bank without having access to each other's items. Each player will only see their own items when accessing the same Piggy Bank.
- Again, if a Hardcore character dies, all items in their personal storage will be deleted with the character (and lost forever).
- Items stored in a Piggy Bank, Safe, Defender's Forge, and Void Vault will not be dropped as a result of death, even if the container in question is in the character's inventory at the time.
- The Safe, Defender's Forge, and Void Vault have the same properties as the Piggy Bank, except that they can be placed directly on the floor and each has its own slots for storing another set of 40 items.
- Money stored in the Piggy Bank, Safe, Defender's Forge, and Void Vault are available when making purchases from NPCs. The total money stored in all four is visible as Savings to the right of an NPC shop window.
- The amount of money displayed in personal storage will not exceed 999999999 in NPC vendor shops.
- Keep a Safe inside the Piggy Bank (and vice-versa) for even more personal storage.
- Since the Piggy Bank is much cheaper, it's better suited to leaving several permanently placed, scattered in important locations such as outposts.
- As vendors can still access money in the Piggy Bank, and Coins won't be dropped from one when the player dies, it is best to keep money in the Piggy Bank to prevent losing it when dying.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Now can be accessed via the Money Trough.
- You can now purchase items using all money in your character storage - including money in your inventory, Piggy Bank, and Safe.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Right-clicking to open a chest, Piggy Bank or Safe will no longer pick up an item from the stack where the cursor is.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Piggy Bank and Safe now correctly combine coins when Quick Stacking.
- Desktop 1.2: Now has 40 storage slots instead of 20.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Should no longer float when the ground beneath the table it is on is removed from beneath them.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.0.1: () Now functional.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced, () but non-functional.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.